Author Topic: Where program update posted??  (Read 4236 times)

sammi 1820

Where program update posted??
« on: January 19, 2007, 06:27:27 AM »
Hi,
This is my first post to this forum,however I have read through a various number of threads.
I am a user of the Home version program,and have been now for several months,4.7.892.
I noticed on COU the other day that this version had been updated to ver .4.7.932.,and when I check the Home page at avast.com it shows yet another update to 4.7.942!
Maybe I am missing something on this web forum,but I do not see at a quick glance what the current version number is for the Home or Pro.The only reference I see to an update of the program was under the thread of Beta update.
Would it not be possible to add  new program updates to Announcements or create a separate entity to this fact?
Like I said,maybe its just me,that I can,t see this new info,but if such is the case,please direct me to placement of program upgrades on forum site.
Thanks for help and your time,

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Where program update posted??
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 09:32:35 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

If you have the default settings in the update section of avast settings then when a new version is ready to be made available you will will get a popup window advising you that there is a new program update available and asking if you want to download it.

For most users this is by far the best way to get program updates since it gives a little time even after the beta program (announced in this forum) to make sure any last minute issues are dealt with before you get the new release.  That was the case this time, some issues were found even after the end of the beta program - they have been resolved and avast will be distributing the updates to all users.  It takes a little time so as not to overload the download servers.

If you want to be in the fray of the beta testers and early adopters (at your own risk) then the update information is always announced in this forum.   

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 12:38:57 PM »
Would it not be possible to add  new program updates to Announcements or create a separate entity to this fact?
This seems to be the very first intention of avast when the Announcements boards were opened...
Why do you (Alwil) stop making that update announcements?  ::)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 12:46:15 PM »
Yeah...the forum ALWIL Software Announcements is a perfect place for...eh...software announcements and announcements of new versions ;)
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

sammi 1820

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 08:43:27 PM »
Hi alanrf,
Thanks for your reply and comment.I do indeed have my update avast setting for program update to default--which is "ask when update is available" but I obviously missed that piece of info,but if I had of noticed it I would have FIRST of all gone to the forum,and seen what if ANY problems were happening with the new upgrade.And nowhere on the site did I see any mention of the upgrade except for the thread of the Beta which was about 3 pages in for any kind of real info.I regularly read a lot of other program security forum sites and to a very large extent the event of new updates is well advertised in them.
I do not mean to be overly critical,and only offer constructive criticism,to what I feel could be better notification on Forum site of NEW UPGRADES!!
Thanks----Love the Program.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 09:14:59 PM »
I regularly read a lot of other program security forum sites and to a very large extent the event of new updates is well advertised in them.
I do not mean to be overly critical,and only offer constructive criticism,to what I feel could be better notification on Forum site of NEW UPGRADES!!
You're fully right. Constructive criticism is always welcome  8)

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 11:50:39 PM »
only offer constructive criticism

I am sure the ALWIL team love to get that...otherwise they don't know what we users want :)
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

cclkfc

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 07:31:02 AM »
Hi everybody, I ain't posted in here in a little while. I got a question about the new update. I had a screen pop up for only a few seconds that said there is a new version of Avast. I was going to click on it but before I could, it disappeared. I was trying to find the update on the web site but I can't find it. Could you all please tell me where I can find the update manually. Thanks.

cclkfc

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 07:42:39 AM »
Never Mind. I just found it inside the program. Thanks though. At least I can always come here if I have a question.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 11:14:24 AM »
I was trying to find the update on the web site but I can't find it.
For your further info:
avast! Professional
avast! Home

At least I can always come here if I have a question.
Sure  8)