Author Topic: Updates  (Read 5122 times)

shadha

Updates
« on: January 19, 2007, 01:14:21 PM »
Just wanted to know why Avast sometimes doesn't recieve upates every day and sometimes it might be 2 or 3 days till I recieve an update. A friend of mine uses NOD32 and he recieves updates just about every day and may times atwice a day at the very worst maybe every 2nd day (very occassionally every 2nd day). If there is an outbreak, does Avast respond quick enough to send updates to protect its customers or is there a possibility of infection due to this delay in updates.
shadha

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Updates
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 02:49:12 PM »
Just wanted to know why Avast sometimes doesn't recieve upates every day and sometimes it might be 2 or 3 days till I recieve an update.
The updates are available when there are something to update.
Could they be better and more frequent? For sure. But, Alwil team does not release placebo updates just to calm down users that want daily updates.

If there is an outbreak, does Avast respond quick enough to send updates to protect its customers or is there a possibility of infection due to this delay in updates.
They try to do so.
With the Professional version you can have push updates. The need of an update is detected by Alwil team and they force an update in all computers using avast Professional version in order to increase protection is a on-the-wild attack (infection).
The best things in life are free.

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 03:00:36 PM »
twice a day
Sometimes we also get more than 1 update/day.

I think avast! is good with updates, it works just fine, I am happy! ;)

And as Tech said...if they (ALWIL Team) don't have anything to update, they can't update our program :)

If there is an outbreak, does Avast respond quick enough
My experience is that they are fast enough if that happen
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 03:11:32 PM by Bluesman »
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

shadha

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 10:37:37 PM »
Thanks for that.
2 more questions-

1. On the NOD32 site the have other certification eg Checkmark, Checkvir, ISCA (which Avast has), VB (which Avast has), will Avast also be applying for certification with these others or do you feel that it is not necessary.
2. In the Av Comparatives I see Avast only reached standard while NOD32 and others reached Advanced+. When do you think Avast will recieve the same recognition as others and have Advanced+ next to it. I'm looking forward to seeing Avast with more certificates, medals, awards and whatever else they can win.

shadha

shadha

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 08:51:25 PM »
Hi Guys
Does anyone want to give me an answer to my last 2 questions. I will put them here again.
1. On the NOD32 site the have other certification eg Checkmark, Checkvir, ISCA (which Avast has), VB (which Avast has), will Avast also be applying for certification with these others or do you feel that it is not necessary.
2. In the Av Comparatives I see Avast only reached standard while NOD32 and others reached Advanced+. When do you think Avast will recieve the same recognition as others and have Advanced+ next to it. I'm looking forward to seeing Avast with more certificates, medals, awards and whatever else they can win.
shadha

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 09:06:01 PM »
Some of the certifications basically charge a lot of money just for certification, the avast.com home page shows some, see image.

The three previous av-comparatives were Advanced and the retrospective test can throw up some what I would call anomalies as I believe it is based on not updating the software for three months and users just don't do that.

Nod32 has very good detection rates, but you also have to compare functionality also and not detection alone.

Web Shield, Network Shield, Internet Mail scanner for general POP3 email clients, like Outlook Express, Thunderbird, etc. Outlook/Exchange plug-in for MS Outlook, P2P Shield, Instant Messaging protection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

shadha

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 07:08:02 AM »
DavidR
Thanks for your comments. I appreciate your taking time out to reply
shadha

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 02:25:12 PM »
Your welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security