Author Topic: After Splash Screen Simple User i/face doesn't show  (Read 6322 times)

reesa

After Splash Screen Simple User i/face doesn't show
« on: January 07, 2007, 05:11:58 AM »
When I right click on the avast icon, and select "Start Avast! antivirus" the usual splash screen shows, and the test runs as normal.  Then a thing shows in my taskbar stating there should be a window open called avast! "Simple User Interface" but it's no where to be seen.

I want to run a boottime scan but don't know any other way to do it, other than from in here.

Any help on this issue, would be appreciated.

Regards
Reesa

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Re: After Splash Screen Simple User i/face doesn't show
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 06:12:01 AM »
You could try running the following command

C:\Program Files\ALWIL Software\Avast4\sched.exe /A:*

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 09:24:32 PM »
Then a thing shows in my taskbar stating there should be a window open called avast! "Simple User Interface" but it's no where to be seen.
Use ALT+TAB to bring the interface to front...
Or use C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashSimp2.exe the skinless application if you have further troubles with the interface.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 09:35:22 PM »
You could also try launching the Simple User Interface directly, this doesn't start with a memory check and once there you should be able to schedule the boot-time scan.

Try running C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashSimpl.exe or use the skinless version as Tech mentioned. Let us know if you can run these files to open the SUI.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

reesa

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 03:44:05 AM »
Thanks for your replies.  Sorry I haven't been able to get back for a little while. 

I don't understand how to run oldman's command...I'm a bit simple...lol

Alt Tab didn't work (which I'm a bit happy about...how embarrassing might that have been??)

The ashSimpl.exe file wont work, it does the same thing as the original file.

The ashSimp2.exe file has however worked.  So I shall access it this way until I have an opportunity to re-install avast soon.

Many thanks again, and if you need me to try anything else fyi, just let me know.

Regards,
Reesa

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 02:04:42 PM »
I don't understand how to run oldman's command...I'm a bit simple...lol
Start button > Run > "C:\Program Files\ALWIL Software\Avast4\sched.exe /A:*"
If you've installed avast in the default folder C:\Program Files\ALWIL Software\Avast4\

The ashSimpl.exe file wont work, it does the same thing as the original file.
The ashSimp2.exe file has however worked.  So I shall access it this way until I have an opportunity to re-install avast soon.
Many thanks again, and if you need me to try anything else fyi, just let me know.
Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair). You must be connected to the internet while repairing.

Indeed, if this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 02:36:02 PM »
As Tech mentions you may ultimately need to reinstall avast, if necessary following his steps.

As there have recently been a number of program updates it might be best to download the latest version of avast and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 05:35:15 PM »
Reesa, do you use any firewall or other "similar" applications? (anti-spyware, behavior blockers, ...)

reesa

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 10:11:05 AM »
Start button > Run > "C:\Program Files\ALWIL Software\Avast4\sched.exe /A:*"
If you've installed avast in the default folder C:\Program Files\ALWIL Software\Avast4\
I tried this...neither option worked

Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair). You must be connected to the internet while repairing.
Nope...next step...

I will download the latest version as suggested by David which should ultimately fix the problem.  I just hoped it might have been a quick fix.  But never mind.

Posted by: igor  Posted on: 17 January 2007, 01:35:15 
Insert Quote 
Reesa, do you use any firewall or other "similar" applications? (anti-spyware, behavior blockers, ...)
I have Spyware Dr, and use Xoftspy on occasions, but have used these programs for quite some time which has not had any effect in the past.  Oh and Admuncher which I have also had for some time.

Many thanks to everyone for their support and patience with my lack of computer knowledge  ;)

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 10:19:42 AM »
Since you are doing a uninstall\reinstall, you may as well use the removal tool as well.

Download it to your desk top from here
(download both avast and the tool before uninstalling)

http://avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html

Uninstall through add\remove
reboot
run the tool by double clicking the program on your desk top
reboot
reinstall
don't forget to update

reesa

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 11:02:07 AM »
Thanks Oldman and everyone else....all done and problem fixed.

Many regards,
Reesa

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 11:04:41 AM »
You're welcome. Glad to help and good to see that all is well now.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 01:06:22 PM »
Well, in my opinion Xoftspy is not a program to be installed in a good computer...

Note on XoftSpy:  XoftSpy was listed on this page because of concerns with false positives (1, 2, 3, 4), questionable license terms, and the use of aggressive, deceptive advertising (1, 2), including exploitation of the name "spybot" by affiliates. Earlier versions of XoftSpy were also Ad-aware knockoffs. (There was clone  of XoftSpy named SpyBurn, but that application is no longer available.)

Over the past few months, XoftSpy has taken aggressive steps to reign in its affiliates (who were primarily responsible for the unsavory advertising), revised its license text, and released a new version of XoftSpy (version 4.0) that addresses our concerns with false positves. Given these changes we can no longer regard XoftSpy as "rogue/suspect" anti-spyware.

Domains: paretologic.com

(Note: other domains associated with XoftSpy include: adware-destroyer.com, adware-elimination.com, adwarekillers.com, adware-real-free-scan.com, adwares.net, anti-adware.net, antispywares.com, deletespyware.net, nomorespyware.net, removespyware.net, softspy.net, softwho.com, spywarebest.com, spyware-detection.net, spywareprof.com, spywarepurge.com, spywarerem.com, spywareremoval.net) [A: 6-26-04 / U: 12-7-04]

For me, not an application that we can trust.
http://spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm#xos_note

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2007, 02:41:24 PM »
Thanks Oldman and everyone else....all done and problem fixed.

Many regards,
Reesa

Glad we could help.

I echo Tech's advice on xoftspy, whilst it has been de-listed at spywarewarrior there are plenty of other anti-spyware applications without the suspect chequered history. There is even a list of trustworthy applications on the same page, http://spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm#trustworthy.