Author Topic: AVAST logging keystrokes  (Read 5951 times)

carolk65

AVAST logging keystrokes
« on: January 20, 2007, 04:25:00 PM »
I recently switched from AVG to AVAST.So far I like the avast but have one rather large concern.

I am also using cyberhawk.

Today while posting on a forum cyberhawk popped up a high risk warning stating that avast was logging my keystrokes.
This is the location of the keylogger

program files\ALWIL Software\Avast4

Is that a legit avast file and if so, why is it logging my keystrokes?

mauserme

Re: AVAST logging keystrokes
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 04:42:17 PM »
program files\ALWIL Software\Avast4 is the location (directory) for a default installation of avast!  Does Cyberhawk give you a file name?  Seems like a false postive.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 04:44:26 PM »
There is no keystroke logging functionality in avast!.

One or two modules have keystroke detection code (so that avast! is able to tell whether the user is typing on keyboard, and if not, start VRDB generation, for example). But the keystrokes are certainly not logged anywhere, the only information detected is if the user types anything, not what is being typed.

carolk65

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 03:28:43 AM »
So I have nothing to worry about?
I just got another message that
ASHWEBSV.EXE was logging keystrokes.

I've had cyberhawk installed since before I had installed the avast and today is the first time I ever had those warning popups.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 03:44:07 AM »
Cyberhawk seems to be targeting web shield.

Do you get a warning just when posting? What happens when you, say, logging in here?

carolk65

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 03:48:54 AM »
I've only gotten it twice. Both times today while posting on a forum.

I denied and said remember, and then my firefox browser shutdown.
I had to remove the denied thingie from cyberhawk because firefox acted all buggy when I reopened it.

I scanned those files with ewido and they were clean btw.

(thanks for the help btw)

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 04:27:14 AM »
Welcome to the forums!

More than glad to bounce things around.

I take it that it was the web shield exe you scanned? Good choice, I was going to suggest that.

By denied, you mean cyber hawk would stop webshield from doing what it was trying to do? If that is the case, it may explain why your browser started acting up. Webshield moniters internet traffic, so if it was partially disabled....

Is it possible that cyberhawk is misinterpeting what is happening when you post? I don't know how to word this. It's like cyber hawk sees the passing of keystrokes through webshield as key logging. Or...

Could a keylogger be using the webshield proxy and cyberhawk is only seeing webshield?

What os and firewall are you using?

Was it the same forum? Does cyberhawk forum have any comment on this happening? There must be other avst/cyberhawk users.

DFXBB

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 05:28:53 AM »
Cyberhawk also popup a warning when I use Opera, uTorrent, VS2005 Express and some other programs, because of "Keystrokes Logged".
If you think these programs are safe, just allow and let cyberhawk remember it.

I don't think cyberhawk is an antivirus software, and its warning does not mean the program is dangerous.
Maybe these actions are usually performed by some virus, normal programs also need them for some functions.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 05:52:01 AM »
Cyberhawk also popup a warning when I use Opera, uTorrent, VS2005 Express and some other programs, because of "Keystrokes Logged".

Did this always happen, or just since you started using avast?

DFXBB

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 08:07:34 AM »

Did this always happen, or just since you started using avast?

I'm not sure. I have been using avast! for several month, and installed cyberhawk 4 days ago.

mauserme

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 08:53:03 AM »
So I have nothing to worry about?
I just got another message that
ASHWEBSV.EXE was logging keystrokes.

I've had cyberhawk installed since before I had installed the avast and today is the first time I ever had those warning popups.
Cyberhawk just recently updated to 2.0 - its probably something about this version that didn't exist in the prior version.

If you come up clean after a thorough scan with AVG Antivirus and/or A-Squared then relax.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 09:10:55 AM »
Cyberhawk just recently updated to 2.0 - its probably something about this version that didn't exist in the prior version.

If you come up clean after a thorough scan with AVG Antivirus and/or A-Squared then relax.

I tend to agree with you, espcially after your post about the update and that another user reports the same with other programs. DFXBB says that he\she has only been using cyberhawk for 4 days. All the programs can't be infected.

@carolk65

What version of cyberhawk are you using? Perhaps it is like mauserme posted earlies,...a false positive. If that's the case, then the cyberhawk forum must be buzzing, given DFXBB'S list of "problem" programs.

Do as mauserme suggests.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 03:10:49 PM »

I assume you meant AVG Anti-spyware ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mauserme

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2007, 03:29:53 PM »
I assume you meant AVG Anti-spyware ;D
Yes, that's exactly what I meant.  That's what I get for posting at 2AM local time (Up a lot last night with a sick 6 year old.  At least he feels better today  - yawn)  ;D