Author Topic: AVAST Free download; Is it a good choice?  (Read 26968 times)

01-cannon-c

AVAST Free download; Is it a good choice?
« on: January 20, 2007, 06:47:18 PM »
I'm running NORTON ANTI-VIRUS SUITE trial at the moment. But my computer is slower and i'm thinking about installing AVAST Free download. Does AVAST fully protect me or do i need seperate spyware ect. This is all new to me. Any help welcome thankyou.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: AVAST Free download; Is it a good choice?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 06:55:41 PM »
There are many happy ex-Norton now avast users, by comparison it is lighter and provides good protection. avast doesn't include a firewall.

You must uninstall Norton anti-virus suite before installing avast as two resident AVs can cause conflict. If the suite includes a firewall or anything you intend to keep you would need to uninstall everything and then do a custom install leaving out the anti-virus module.

Before doing that it would be advisable to have already download the latest version of avast and save it to your HDD.

It is never wise to trust to just one program but a multiple application approach to your defence

If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it.
1. Ewido, a.k.a. avg anti-spyware If using winXP. or a-Squared free if using win98/ME.
2. Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition
3. Spybot Search and Destroy
4. Spywareblaster Don't install this until you are clean.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 10:01:06 PM »
Does AVAST fully protect me or do i need seperate spyware ect.
Norton Antivirus does not protect you to everything either...
I'm an ex-Norton too  :-[
It will be good avast + firewall (like Comodo, Kerio, Sygate, Outpost) + Windows Defender or, at least, other antispyware to be run on-demand.
The best things in life are free.

01-cannon-c

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 10:51:29 PM »
Thanks for the advice  ;D, Ive now uninstalled Norton and i am now using AVAST and the other four that you recomended. But i have not installed Spyblaster yet as when ive done a full system scan with AVAST (Twice Now) it detects a WIN32:vb. What can i do with this as i can't repair it. Do i leave it in the Virus Chest and forget it. Is my computer now clean to install Spyblaster?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 11:44:22 PM »
If it is in the chest, it can do no harm there, provided it isn't still in its original location (as you said it has been detected twice, so it could be coming back) then you should be OK to install SpywareBlaster.

What is the infected file name, where was it found e.g. (C:\windows\system32\infected-file-name.xxx) ?
Check the avast! Log Viewer (right click the avast icon), Warning section, this contains information on all avast detections.

Not all infected files can be repaired. The VRDB only protects certain files, .exe, dll and other system files, it doesn't protect data files or all files, it is not a back-up program, so there are going to be many occasions where repair won't be an option.

Only true virus infection can be repaired, e.g. when a virus infects a file it adds a small part to it, provided that file is one that avast's VRDB would monitor and you have run the VRDB, then it may be possible to repair the file to its uninfected state.

However, for the most part so called viruses, trojans (adware/spyware/malware, etc.) can't be repaired because the complete content of the file is malicious.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

01-cannon-c

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 12:28:28 AM »
ive just checked log viewer and foundi 19 warnings;
sign of win32:zlob tc trg in c/system volume info\restore ect,ect
5 warnings of;
sign of win32 vb alp wrm in c/docs +setts all users\application data\symatec\norton anti-virus\quarentine ssfa4615.exe
 4 errors in;
aswchestC;chest adfile error 1753 
           hope this helps ???                                               

galooma

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 12:41:33 AM »
The files you have detected in system volume info/ restore can be removed by turning off system restore. These files wont hurt you unless you restore your system to a time when you were infected .
Just go into accessories/ system tools/ system restore and turn off for your C drive then reboot and they are gone.

as for the Norton protect files , you may have a little more trouble removing those but once again they are in a place where they cant harm your system under normal use
 more discussion on this norton quarantine file here http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1910077,00.asp

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 01:29:32 AM »
ive just checked log viewer and foundi 19 warnings;
sign of win32:zlob tc trg in c/system volume info\restore ect,ect
5 warnings of;
sign of win32 vb alp wrm in c/docs +setts all users\application data\symatec\norton anti-virus\quarentine ssfa4615.exe
 4 errors in;
aswchestC;chest adfile error 1753 
           hope this helps ???                                               

I would have hoped that after getting rid of NAV it would have also removed the quarantine area also, this may be an indication of other remnants, perhaps not. The avast errors could relate to being unable to get rid of the NAV quarantine files, though I would have thought they would have been encrypted in the first place to avoid other AV/security programs detecting them.

You might want to change your avatar for another, resize or use this one. We try to keep avatars around 100 X 100 for those who don't have high resolution monitors.

01-cannon-c

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 06:44:25 PM »

You might want to change your avatar for another, resize or use this one. We try to keep avatars around 100 X 100 for those who don't have high resolution monitors.

THANKS FOR EVERYONES HELP. SEE YA  TILL  THE NEXT TIME

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 06:55:53 PM »
Your welcome, stick around and browse the forums, especially the sticky topics at the top of each of the forums, not to mention the avast help file. They provide a wealth of information to help you get the best from avast.

Spyros

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 09:52:52 AM »
I'm running NORTON ANTI-VIRUS SUITE trial at the moment. But my computer is slower and i'm thinking about installing AVAST Free download. Does AVAST fully protect me or do i need seperate spyware ect. This is all new to me. Any help welcome thankyou.
For a free realtime protection, along with avast!, I use Cyberhawk. Uses little memory and has almost no pop-ups asking what to do. More info here: http://www.novatix.com/cyberhawk/

PS: Cool avatar!  ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007, 11:44:33 AM »
But my computer is slower
I'm not surprised at all...
The best things in life are free.

luckyidol

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2007, 06:55:34 PM »

hi, ive installed all of these suggested byDavid R,
1. Ewido, a.k.a. avg anti-spyware
2. Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition
3. Spybot Search and Destroy
4. Spywareblaster
                           but have just read this reply,
For a free realtime protection, along with avast!, I use Cyberhawk. Uses little memory and has almost no pop-ups asking what to do.

is this something else to run with what i already have  or do i replace one of the above? if it is to replace one is it better than what i already have?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2007, 07:42:39 PM »
CyberHawk is a Host Intrusion Protection System (HIPS) program and generally works on behaviour what would be classed as suspicious, etc.

I have downloaded it but never got round to installing it as I don't feel it is a priority for me based on my browsing habits and general practising safe hex and common sense, backed (no pun intended) up by a back-up and recovery plan.

HIPS programs can give another level of protection, some are intrusive in the number of pop-ups they generate, asking if this or that is OK, the problem for some is they simply don't know the answer, get it wrong and you can disable an element of your system. Some avast users also use CyberHawk and have no problems, but my last comment is potentialy the biggest issue for inexperienced users, what behaviour is OK or not.

Spyros

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2007, 09:18:02 PM »
some are intrusive in the number of pop-ups they generate, asking if this or that is OK, the problem for some is they simply don't know the answer, get it wrong and you can disable an element of your system.

This is not the case with Cyberhawk. I've tried a couple more HIPS programs, based on  www.av-comparatives.org tests, and as you say they were "difficult" to use (like System Safety Monitor for example). Cyberhawk never bothered me, not even once. But when it will, I'll know for sure that something fishy is going on.

luckyidol, I use it along with Spybot & Spywareblaster and avast + firewall. I used to use anti-spyware too (real-time), I have SUPERantispyware Pro, but I like to USE my PC, not play with it's security programs all the time.
I'm not telling you what you should do, what works for me might not work for you. But you can try it. If you like it, keep it. If not, just uninstall it.