Author Topic: Avast! online scan  (Read 19930 times)

tsilo

Avast! online scan
« on: January 20, 2007, 11:36:37 PM »
I have a question about Avast! online scan: www.onlinescan.avast.com

If i submit and scan unknow sample that isn't detected, will they analyze it anyway?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast! online scan
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 11:57:20 PM »
The on-line scan won't know if it isn't detected until it is scanned, however if you know for sure it is malware you can submit a sample.

Send the sample to virus@avast.com zipped and password protected with password in email body and false undetected malware in the subject.

You could also check the offending/suspect file at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner Or Jotti - Multi engine on-line virus scanner if any other scanners here detect them it is less likely to be a false positive. You can't do this with the file in the chest, you will need to move it out.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tsilo

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 12:15:39 AM »
:) yes i know these sites, but my question was diferent, if I submit unknown virus and Avast! online scan says it's clean, Avast! lab don't analyze this file anyway?

I think it's dificult every time to send unknown  password-protected files to Avast! lab  by E-mail... why don't make virus submission pages in Avast! website to make this process easyer such have Avira or Dr.Web?

www.support.drweb.com/sendnew/
www.avira.com/en/support/submit_suspicious_files.html

It would be great!

sorry for my english..

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 01:14:45 AM »
Your English is fine.

avast currently doesn't have an on-line submission only the email submission and submission from the avast chest, suspect files added to the User Files section (File, Add), they can be selected to send to Alwil and they are encrypted and also emailed.

I don't know if files scanned on the online.avast.com would be further analysed if on initial scanning nothing was found. But, it certainly would be an opportunity to keep a copy that is submitted, I just don't know.

Samples sent to VirusTotal and Jotti that aren't detected by any of the AVs should eventually be forwarded to those AV companies, how reliable this is I can't say, I'm only an avast user like yourself.

There are apparently considerations on improving the submissions possibly including an on-line submission, but I have no idea when or if this will happen.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tsilo

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 10:15:52 AM »
OK

I think it's important  for Avast! to have his own online submission or they  must improve online scaner - to scan bigger files then 512 kb and further analyze undetected samples..

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 01:40:54 PM »
I think it's important  for Avast! to have his own online submission
We all think the same...

or they must improve online scaner - to scan bigger files then 512 kb and further analyze undetected samples
You can use the ftp server to upload big files.
Upload them to ftp://ftp.avast.com/incoming
Please, note that you won't have READ access to the ftp server, just write - so you won't even be able to see what you've just uploaded.

You can zip and password the files... Inform a link to this thread and the password used.
Thanks.
The best things in life are free.

tsilo

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 07:04:55 PM »
Can you reply to my first question in this topic?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 07:33:28 PM »
I don't wish to put words in his mouth, but I doubt Tech can answer that either, he too is an avast user, otherwise he would probably have answered it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 08:11:52 PM »
I have a question about Avast! online scan: www.onlinescan.avast.com
If i submit and scan unknow sample that isn't detected, will they analyze it anyway?
Scan it will. Analyze, meaning improving detection I hope.

I don't wish to put words in his mouth, but I doubt Tech can answer that either, he too is an avast user, otherwise he would probably have answered it.
David knows me better than myself  ;D
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 11:16:51 PM »
I'd say that the answer to the original question is currently No.
But this is likely to change (together with the online scanner itself)
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

tsilo

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 11:45:21 PM »
Thanks for the answer :)