Author Topic: Current problem, trying to fix, help?  (Read 3137 times)

xfox

Current problem, trying to fix, help?
« on: January 21, 2007, 11:41:40 PM »
Yo, how's everyone doing?

Here we go:
Symptoms: General slowups, some applications don't launch, system restore doesn't function, virus scans work slow.

So far: Scanned with everything, stopped all scans because they were slowing up. Scanning with avast right now but it hasn't found anything yet and it's going a little bit slow on some files as well.

Don't have anything else to say. Help please?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Current problem, trying to fix, help?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 01:30:58 AM »
Difficult to say but I think you should schedule an avast boot time scanning.
Then, with Task Manager (ctrl+alt+del), and check with processes are using the CPU and slowing down the computer.
The best things in life are free.

xfox

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 01:42:44 AM »
Thank you very much. Now, I was using the free avast cleaner, I'm guessing I need to get the Home Edition software to set up the boot scan which I'm doing right now.

After I set that up, could you explain what exactly I have to do with the Task Manager?

EDIT: I checked, nothing besides processes that I'm familiar of are using the CPU, could it be something else?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 01:46:01 AM by xfox »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 01:54:58 AM »
Yes you need to install the full avast Home version to be able to run a boot-time scan, you don't say what your Operating system is (?), the boot-time scan is only available with win2k, winXP and winNT.

Have (or did) you have another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

You would need to uninstall your existing AV if you have one before you install avast to avoid possible conflict. Download the latest version of avast and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Do this before uninstalling any other AV, so you aren't on-line with your trousers down.

If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run.
1. Ewido, a.k.a. avg anti-spyware If using winXP. or a-Squared free if using win98/ME.
2. Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition
3. Spybot Search and Destroy
4. Spywareblaster Don't install this until you are clean.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

xfox

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 01:57:37 AM »
Yes, I have those, thank you. I'll wait until I run the boot-scan and report back to you, thank you very much ^_^