Author Topic: Win32:Small-MX [Trj]  (Read 2626 times)

bear1433

Win32:Small-MX [Trj]
« on: January 21, 2007, 11:33:41 PM »
i have had avast detect the following virus Win32:Small-MX [Trj], it appeared in a file generated by serif page plus 9, i think some kind of dump file
avast could not place it in the virus chest as it was reported as to large for my drive (200gb!!) can anyone tell me exactly what this Trojan is and what it does before i go barking back at serif
thanks
Bear

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Win32:Small-MX [Trj]
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 11:50:16 PM »
What is the infected file name, where was it found e.g. (C:\windows\system32\infected-file-name.xxx) ?
Check the avast! Log Viewer (right click the avast icon), Warning section, this contains information on all avast detections.

You can adjust both the size of the avast chest and the max file size, right click the avast icon, Program Settings, Chest.

You could also check the offending/suspect file at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner Or Jotti - Multi engine on-line virus scanner if any other scanners here detect them it is less likely to be a false positive. You can't do this with the file in the chest, you will need to move it out.

If it is indeed a false positive, add it to the exclusions lists (Standard Shield, Customize, Advanced and Program Settings, Exclusions) and periodically check it (scan it in the chest), there should still be a copy in the chest even though you restored it to the original location. When it is no longer detected then you can also remove it from the Standard Shield and Program Settings, exclusions.

Also see (Mini Sticky) False Positives, how to report it to avast! and what to do to exclude them until the problem is corrected.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bear1433

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 04:39:03 AM »
Many thanx, however because i did could not send it to chest i deleted the file and heres the bummer... it does not show up in the log any where!! i will wait and see if  it shows up again and if so come back. i did notice an instance i had with this a few months back and it showed up in my locals~1\temp\ file area which is where it showed up this time but i can not remember the file name!! so, will catch it next time

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 02:22:29 PM »
In the local files/temp it is unlikely that deletion would cause any potential harm, but hopefully a valuable lesson learnt. Deletion isn't really a good first option (you have none left), 'first do no harm' don't delete, send virus to the chest and investigate.

You could possibly have chosen Move (goes to the moved folder within avast4 folder and no size restriction) or Rename that says where it is but is renamed (I think it tacks on .vir at the end of the file name). These are obviously secondary to move to chest if possible (you could up the sizes to avoid anything like this in the future), deletion really should be a last option.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security