Author Topic: Cannot boot from CD  (Read 14707 times)

Freevian

Cannot boot from CD
« on: February 04, 2004, 08:21:27 PM »
I read the previous post http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=1211 about not being able to boot from the BART CD, and it appears that I am having the same difficulties.

I need to bring back to life an IBM Thinkpad that I have, which I fear has a corrupted HD.  Unfortunately, I do not have my floppy drive (lent it to a friend who had a similar issue), and I think my only solution is to try your product.

However, I have tried everything to try and boot up to the CD and still am not having any luck.  I downloaded IsoBuster to verify that all files were on the CD image...I tried using Nero to create an ISO image...I tried using XP to create an ISO image...nothing is working!

When I insert the CD into the Thinkpad, it just skips over the CD and goes to the next boot device.  I even tried disabling all but the CD-ROM in the boot device sequence, and I just get the "No Operating System Found" message.

PLEASE HELP!!!!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2004, 08:23:06 PM by Freevian »

whocares

Re:Cannot boot from CD
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004, 08:42:42 PM »
.I tried using Nero to create an ISO image.....nothing is working!

Hi,

uuh? you don't create an Image with Nero, you burn an Image-file to a (Boot-)CD with nero..

Please explain what you mean.. The nero-burn-part won't work, or the nero-created boot-Cd's won't boot in the LapTop  ??
can you test the CD in other PC's ?

When I insert the CD into the Thinkpad, it just skips over the CD and goes to the next boot device.  I even tried disabling all but the CD-ROM in the boot device sequence, and I just get the "No Operating System Found" message.

Do you have any boot-CD that works/boots in the ThinkPad, e.g. the XP-Installation disk ? (That one should be able to at least see and check the Harddisk BTW..) ;)

whocares

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 08:46:14 PM »

Freevian

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2004, 09:02:15 PM »
regarding the suggestion to use a bootable copy of the OS installation software is not an option...already tried that and the Win2k installation program does not recognize the HD.

however, before you jump to any conclusions about the HD not being there, i was able to use a bootable distribution of Linux to get to the HD and verify that all of my files were still there and intact.

so, i just believe that it is a problem with HD corruption that is preventing any version of Windows from working.  if i try to boot to the HD, it starts Windows, but gets hung on the initialization screen at about 75%.

also, i read the post below, and it appears that using Nero or just XP to create the CD was not what i needed to do, as the file structure on the both CDs was just a copy of the ISO file.

so, i'll try again.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2004, 11:12:38 PM by Freevian »

Freevian

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2004, 11:13:37 PM »
was able to burn an image using Nero...just have to go about a different way than what i used to do.

file structure looks good...i'll keep my fingers crossed and hope this works!