Author Topic: Opening port for uTorrent - is it safe?  (Read 17247 times)

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Opening port for uTorrent - is it safe?
« on: January 22, 2007, 04:34:52 PM »
Hello,

I've one question. I often use uTorrent program and it needs to accept incoming connections. With ZA it is not a problem, the needed port is open without any configuration. But, after a lot of BSOD today caused by srescan.sys (it belongs to ZA) I moved back to Comodo Firewall. But... I need to create a rule for uTorrent incoming connections. Is it very risky to leave open port? The rule is below, I opened only one port which I've set randomly on uTorrent (it is not the default one). Actually I found it as the only one possible way to configure Comodo with uTorrent.  :-\

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Opening port for uTorrent - is it safe?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 05:31:51 PM »
YLAP, the rule should be narrowed...
Add your local IP if you have a router (not the real IP).
Only allow the uTorrent port.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 05:34:11 PM »
To me that rule is too open ended also and liable to exploit.

I don't know what you mean by an open port, no restriction on use, rather than what something like grc.com shields up would call an open port, one that isn't stealthed. A port that isn't stealthed can effectively announce your presence when port scanned, leaving you liable to more detailed scanning.

What if you allowed access based on uTorrent, program permissions rather than a global rule like this. Perhaps you need to visit a comodo forum.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 05:34:29 PM »
Thanks. Yes, I have router. I'll try  ;)

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 05:40:10 PM »
Add your local IP if you have a router (not the real IP).

Nope, the port after modification with my router IP is closed...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 05:50:32 PM »
my router IP is closed...
The IP should be the one from your computer and not from the router  ::)

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 05:57:48 PM »
The problem is that my IP is dinamic, not static. The only way to make uTorrent accept incoming connections is the rule in #1 post... Already tried everything... Program rule does not works, moreover uTorrent is marked as SAFE in Comodo so it do not asks any rules from this program.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 07:18:48 PM »
The problem is that my IP is dinamic, not static.
Are you in a network? Even so, just let it static... there is no other way as you need to open a port for an specific computer in the network...
Well, maybe other guy understand more than I of these stuffs...

The only way to make uTorrent accept incoming connections is the rule in #1 post... Already tried everything... Program rule does not works, moreover uTorrent is marked as SAFE in Comodo so it do not asks any rules from this program.
Well, using the rule you've posted, there is no difference on allowing server rights like in ZoneAlarm. Comodo allows you to get, in theory, a narrow rule for an open port. ZA open it completely. If you want to run P2P at high identity login, the only way will be opening the port...

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 08:35:00 PM »
Just back from Comodo support forum. Seems the first rule I posted is the only way. This configuration is mentioned in Comodo several times, and I can't find better solution in their forum. PS. My ISP can't provide me static IP. I need to change ISP if I want to have one static IP, instead dinamic, which changes every time I'm reconnecting to the net.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 10:01:00 PM »
My ISP can't provide me static IP.
Don't you have a router?

I need to change ISP if I want to have one static IP, instead dinamic, which changes every time I'm reconnecting to the net.
My ISP only allows static IP to enterprises not to a person user.
But having a router, you can do it. Your (your computer) has a static IP, as well the router. The only dynamic is your 'real' IP  8)

DukeNukem

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 11:02:47 PM »
I sense confusion.

modem(dynamic/static ip)----router(forward port X to pc IP address)----pc(IP address)

You have to forward the port you have chosen to use in utorrent to the PC running utorrent. You also need to make sure the PC running utorrent has a static ip, by that i mean an IP you have manually specified and not one that the dhcp server of your router has assigned.

Whether your ISP issues you with a static or dynamic ip for your modem does not matter.

so in your router you would for example forward port 50000 to IP address 192.168.1.4

modem(dynamic/static ip)---->router(forward port 50000 to pc 192.168.1.4)---->pc(192.168.1.4)

You should not need to change your software firewall settings on your pc, just make sure the application utorrent is allowed access.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 11:56:39 PM »
DukeNukem,
This seems to work well if your using ZoneAlarm but, it doesn't work when using Comodo. :'(
Allowing the program by itself, doesn't give the program access to the designated port(s)
That's the stone wall I've been running into with Comodo for a long time.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 01:02:05 AM »
DukeNukem, This seems to work well if your using ZoneAlarm but, it doesn't work when using Comodo. :'(
For me it works...

Allowing the program by itself, doesn't give the program access to the designated port(s)
In a rule firewall (like Comodo, Kerio, etc.) you need to manage the Network access.
ZA is simpler, but you give server rights (full access), which let you in a less security state (I suppose).

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 10:03:31 AM »
I've just scanned my port uTorrent is using, and I opened in Comodo rules for TCP In. I was nicely surprised: even with torrent working this port was not reported as OPEN by auditmypc.com scanner

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 10:05:59 AM »
so in your router you would for example forward port 50000 to IP address 192.168.1.4
modem(dynamic/static ip)---->router(forward port 50000 to pc 192.168.1.4)---->pc(192.168.1.4)

OK, I'll try it, and later I'll let you know if it works for me  ;)