Author Topic: I can access the Internet  (Read 4245 times)

tranxen

I can access the Internet
« on: January 21, 2007, 06:22:54 AM »
Hello,
Since I have updated my Avast 4.7 Home Edition (yesterday), I can't access the Internet anymore, unless I stop the protection. I didn't change anything. I have tried to modify different settings without success.

Any clue?

thanks

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Re: I can access the Internet
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 06:28:23 AM »
What firewall do you use? You may have to reallow web shield since you've updated your version of avast.

queen

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 09:42:22 AM »
Dummy instructions please...  ???

I'm getting a variant of this problem too. I can access some pages, but not others. The problematic ones seem to be the graphic intensive ones, but I don't really know what's happening. I had no problem with those sites before. This only started happening when I updated to the lastest version, which is a couple of days ago. Whenever I access those sites, my transfer rate drops to zero and my system slows to a crawl, but everything gets back to normal when I select Stop On-Access Protections from the tray icon.

EDIT : Might as well include my system specs if it helps.

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
          Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU          6600  @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs)
             Memory: 2048MB RAM
          Page File: 253MB used, 3690MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

I'm using Filseclab Personal Firewall version 3.0.0.8686 and Avast! version 4.7.942 Home Edition. The problem isn't with the firewall - disabling it doesn't change anything.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 09:52:07 AM by queen »

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 10:13:26 AM »
tranxen's problem ay or may not be the same as yours. He says he can't go on line at all, you have limited surfing ability.

First, welcome to the forum.

You may have your scanning sensitivity set to high, though I don't now why an update would change that.

How did you update? Did you just let the program update or was it a clean install? Sometimes the program update doesn't go quiet right.

You could try a repair. Control panel>Add\remove programs>remove>choose repair. You have to be on line to do this.

Or a fresh install. Uninstall\reinstall.

Uninstall through add\remove
reboot
use the uninstall tool found here http://avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html  (download first, along with a copy of avast if you don't all ready have one)
reboot
reinstall

But first try pausing webshield. Any difference?

You can also terminate webshield and try. Left click tha "a" icon" click webshield, click terminate. The start button will become availible.

queen

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 10:18:57 AM »
Didn't mean to hijack, I'll start a new thread if necessary.  :-*

Avast gave me that green New Version Available pop up and I clicked on it - that's how I updated. I'll try your suggestions and post my results later. ;D

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 10:20:47 AM »
No problem and good luck!!

tranxen

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 11:49:21 PM »
Hello,

If I pause the web Shield, I can access the Internet. But when it works, I can't. I have tried to repair Avast, as you said, but it didn't change anything. I will probably reinstall it.

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 12:21:14 AM »
Hello,

If I pause the web Shield, I can access the Internet. But when it works, I can't. I have tried to repair Avast, as you said, but it didn't change anything. I will probably reinstall it.

As oldman asked you, what firewall do you use? Does the logs from the firewall say something?
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 12:50:55 AM »

This does tend to confirm firewall blocking so you need to answer the question on your firewall and ensure that ashWebSv.exe is allowed internet access.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tranxen

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 03:40:58 PM »
In fact, I have Avast and a Mac Afee try version installed on this computer. When I stop the Mac Afee Web shield, and when Avast Web Shiel works, I can't access the Internet. I have to stop Avast WS and run Mac Afee WS... Until I update Avast, it worked...

"You may have to reallow web shield since you've updated your version of avast"> How can I reallow WS?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 03:49:48 PM »
Having two resident scanners installed is not recommended as rather than provide twice the protection it can cause conflicts that could leave you more vulnerable.

What you are experiencing is a conflict between two resident AVs you gave to choose which to keep, then uninstall McAfee ;D

McAfee has an uninstall tool that you could run (after add remove programs uninstall) to ensure any possible remnants are removed.
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/VSCleanupTool.exe
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tranxen

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 04:41:25 PM »
Thanks for your advice, I didn't know how to find the uninstall program...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 05:27:19 PM »
Regular program uninstall is via the Control Panel, Add Remove Programs, failing that there is usually one in the windows Start, All Programs, Program name, Uninstall. Some companies also provide a utility in case the above fails and for clean-up purposes.

Welcome to the forums.