Author Topic: Avast Add-In for Outlook 365  (Read 3600 times)

Offline Skeefiez11

Avast Add-In for Outlook 365
« on: April 21, 2021, 05:42:52 PM »
Hello. I recently had to perform a custom installation of windows 10 on my PC which included a re-install of Microsoft 365 which includes Outlook.  I am able to see all my previous data as I am using my saved .pst file however on the Home Ribbon, I no longer see my Avast Anti-Spam even though the add-in is listed in Options. See attached screenshot of the add-in window.  Please let me know what needs to be done to see the add-in on the ribbon as I have tried everything and restarted outlook several times. 

Thank you

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user

Offline Skeefiez11

Re: Avast Add-In for Outlook 365
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 06:48:09 PM »
Wait - so per this posting, Avast REMOVED the anti-spam feature/box from Outlook!?!?:

Re: Avast premium security and Outlook 2019
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 01:51:24 PM »
Hi,

Please note that the Anti-spam feature was removed in the last update.
We strive to provide the best protection possible, and our research and comprehensive review of the feature showed that Anti-Spam wasn’t offering enough value to our customers. Given that email providers nowadays provide strong embedded anti-spam filters, we decided to focus our development efforts on adding value in other areas. Recently we introduced new features such as Remote Access Shield, Password Protection, improved botnet protection, etc. We think these new features — along with ongoing improvements to our other many features — provide advanced protection for our customers.

What was the reasoning behind this bad decision??  As per my previous attachment, I STILL see the add-in listed as active in Outlook>> Options >> Add-Ins so I need to know why it is not present in the Outlook ribbon and how I can get a credit as this to me is not what I paid for.

Can someone on the technical team please advise asap??

Thank you

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 06:53:32 PM »
What was the reasoning behind this bad decision??
It is explained in the text you quoted above, read it again

Offline Skeefiez11

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 07:06:07 PM »
I do not see where it explains why Avast anti-spam was added to outlook then...

Offline Skeefiez11

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 03:42:46 PM »
I do not see where it explains why Avast anti-spam was added to outlook then...  If not supported (very bad decision) then why was it added to outlook?? To me that means it should appear in the ribbon

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 08:27:57 PM »
It is or was (I believe) hereditary as there used to be a spam check in the Mail Shield and since the MS Outlook of (very) old didn't use the Mail Shield but a plug-in that scanned email from within MS Outlook. 

The spam check in the Mail Shield has long since gone, but continued in the MS Outlook plug-in. So essentially that was why it was added many years ago and link given bu pondus in this topic.  This is why Avast have decided to cease the anti-spam element (see Reply 1 and 3 by r@vast avast team), in the consumer AV versions.

Most major email providers do anti-spam checks, personally I have used MailWasher Pro for many, many years as my anti-spam solution.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security