Author Topic: Avast & Format Factory 5.7.1.0 update - suspicious file  (Read 1843 times)

Offline andrew728

Avast & Format Factory 5.7.1.0 update - suspicious file
« on: April 22, 2021, 12:10:23 AM »
I am using Win 10 and a paid version of Avast virus software. I have been running Format Factory software for some time. Recently an update came through for Format Factory (Format Factory 5.7.1.0 update) and after it downloads and I run it Avast reports it's a suspicious file and asks me to move it to the virus chest.
I have gone to Format Factory's official site for the download but still Avast reports a problem.
The error message is reported is FileRepMalware[PUP].
Is this threat real and what should I do?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast & Format Factory 5.7.1.0 update - suspicious file
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 01:02:46 AM »
The File Rep element is file reputation based, commonly in new unseen/unknown (to avast) low reputation files and possibly not digitally signed.

The PUP = Possibly Unwanted Program, some tools can be used for good or evil and only the user would know what they intend to use it for.

Is the download digitally signed ?

Did it get sent to the Avast Virus Chest ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Mira_F

• Avast team
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 12:43:39 PM »
Hi andrew728,

We analyzed Format Factory and found some issues in the installation file which may result in unwanted changes in PC (if the application is installed it is safe to use it).

I strongly recommend trusting our detection and move the file to the Avast Virus Chest. Also, you can report it to Format Factory, if they contact us we will help them to solve this issue.

Offline andrew728

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2021, 01:30:02 AM »
I reported to Format Factory but have not heard from them. For the moment I will not install it.