Author Topic: Do you need to scan movie files...?  (Read 2832 times)

WebMaximus

Do you need to scan movie files...?
« on: January 23, 2007, 08:20:23 PM »
Hi,

When performing a full system scan, would it be dumb to exclude movie files (*.avi *.mpg) - is it likely a virus could hide within those kind of files?

Thanks in advance,

Richard

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Do you need to scan movie files...?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 08:29:10 PM »
As far as I'm aware there some media files that can be exploited, I don't know if they can load and execute a virus though.

The easiest why to achieve this is by use of the sensitivity of scan in the on-demand scan, Quick, Standard and Thorough.

Quote from: extract from avast help file.
SETTING THE SENSITIVITY

After you select the area to scan, a bar with a slider appears. Moving the slider, you specify the scanner sensitivity. There are three levels:

# Quick Scan. Only the possibly dangerous files are scanned, according to their extension. It means that the files with extensions EXE, SCR, COM, DOC, etc. are scanned. Within the file, avast! looks only for those viruses that infect the corresponding type of file. It means that macroviruses are not searched for in EXE files etc.

# Standard Scan. Only the possibly dangerous files are scanned, according to their content. The file extension is ignored. Again, only the viruses corresponding to the particular file type are searched for.

# Thorough Scan. All files are tested, against all viruses.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

WebMaximus

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 08:33:31 PM »
Thanks for the clarification, I know you can change this setting but didn't know in detail what the difference was.

//Richard

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 08:36:42 PM »
Marvellous that avast help file ;D

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security