Author Topic: Avast reinstalled itself!  (Read 8579 times)

Glass

Avast reinstalled itself!
« on: January 24, 2007, 03:00:23 PM »
I have avast on my computer for several months now and it is a great piece of software.

I always log on my system with limited rights and everything is fine and avast updates fine too.

For some reason yesterday, I had logged on to the system with administrative privileges and immediately avast grabbed the occasion to download the whole AV program and updates without asking me, even though I have set avast to ask me for program updates. I thought there was probably an updated version released and so let it go.
After use of so much of bandwidth for the download and then the install, the avast popup summary showed it had downloaded and installed the same version of program and VPS; and then asked me to restart!  :o

Any comments anybody?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast reinstalled itself!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 03:48:39 PM »
It's difficult to say... for sure, there were a lot of updates and upgrades last days.

Please, post the last 100 files of avast log files:

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\Setup.log
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\setup.log
The best things in life are free.

browbotham

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 08:34:42 PM »
There was a post a while back (from igor I think) which said that Avast will occasionally automatically install a program update despite any manual settings in order to update all installed programs for new features that are needed.

Maybe this is what happened to you ?

Cheers,
Brett

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 10:06:32 PM »
Depending on what version you had, there has been an update in the way the VPS signatures are delivered/used (I don't know exactly) but that new method requires a program update beyond a certain version.

This is what the post that browbotham referred to which required a program update in order to get the latest VPS updates.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 05:59:21 AM »
Yes, everyone had to be on  .892 at least. If not, a forced update would be preformed. Dec 20/06 for me.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 12:17:41 PM »
In that case, however, the build of the installed program and VPS shouldn't be the same as the previously installed ones.
The end of the setup.log might give some clues...

MikeD_UK

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 02:28:24 PM »
Just out of curiosity... Can I ask why you have a limited account?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 03:18:55 PM »
Not wanting to put words in Glass's mouth.

Many say that it is more secure as any malware that gets into your system doesn't inherit your administrator privileges and they can't create registry entries and place files in the system folders and for the most part you don't need administrator privileges.

But, having to switch users when you do need to have administrator privileges plus MS XP doesn't make it a condition that you have a limited user account and only use the administrator account when you actually need it. This can be a right royal pain in the rear so most just log on to their account with administrator privileges. There is however, a way to limit the rights of programs that access the internet without much trouble, check out the DropMyRights link in my signature.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Glass

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 03:44:03 PM »
In that case, however, the build of the installed program and VPS shouldn't be the same as the previously installed ones.
The end of the setup.log might give some clues...

Absolutely. The version numbers of both the program and VPS are exactly same as before, as shown on summary message box.

I will post the logs once I get home. Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 03:53:45 PM by Glass »

Glass

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 03:50:39 PM »
Not wanting to put words in Glass's mouth.

Many say that it is more secure as any malware that gets into your system doesn't inherit your administrator privileges and they can't create registry entries and place files in the system folders and for the most part you don't need administrator privileges.

But, having to switch users when you do need to have administrator privileges plus MS XP doesn't make it a condition that you have a limited user account and only use the administrator account when you actually need it. This can be a right royal pain in the rear so most just log on to their account with administrator privileges. There is however, a way to limit the rights of programs that access the internet without much trouble, check out the DropMyRights link in my signature.
You said it David R. It is much safer to run as limited account.

And I use a nifty tool called RunAsAdmin that allows your admin account to run as limited. Yet you have the option to open a specific program as administrator and with a different priority from within Windows (without logging off and loggin in again!). A great program. You can find this here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/runasadmin
http://www.harper.no/valery/PermaLink,guid,99b85fa3-104f-4a41-a28f-4786c68e77e4.aspx

And I found Drop My Rights doesn't work for all applications. Is that your experience too?

Thanks.

Glass

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 06:32:11 PM »
Can't post- session time out again and again  :(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 06:37:17 PM »
Can't post- session time out again and again  :(
Maybe the better will be logoff and start again.
Or even close your browser and open it again, relogging.

Are you trying to attach any file to your post?
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 06:48:58 PM »
You said it David R. It is much safer to run as limited account.
<snip>
And I use a nifty tool called RunAsAdmin that allows your admin account to run as limited.
<snip>
And I found Drop My Rights doesn't work for all applications. Is that your experience too?
Yes, RunAsAdmin is another option and has I believe been discussed in the forums before.

I haven't experienced any problems with some programs not running under DMR, perhaps you can list those you have tried that don't work under DMR ?

Perhaps they are listed in the Hall of Shame topic in the General forums of programs that insist on only running with admin permissions. These same applications would fail to run on a limited user and would have to be run with RunAsAdmin ;D

Glass

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 07:28:40 PM »
trying for a final time...

Glass

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 07:30:03 PM »
part 2