Author Topic: Windows Security Center Stopped Recognizing Avast  (Read 5316 times)

Alexmipego

Windows Security Center Stopped Recognizing Avast
« on: January 20, 2007, 06:29:18 PM »
Yesterday I updated Avast, as it requested, so I guess this is the lastest version - 4.7.942.

Since the update, Windows Security Center always shows a popup telling me I've no Antivirus Installed.

In Event Viewer, I found that each time I reboot I've an error code 1802 that, while I cannot fully translate it, tells something like: "Windows Security Center cannot connect to WMI to execute event queries to find third-party firewall and Antivirus". I found that restarting WMI services, that depend on Windows Security Center - meaning it gets restarted too - solves the problem.

For the record, while my Avast is in English, my Windows XP Pro SP2 box is in Portuguese (pt-pt).

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Windows Security Center Stopped Recognizing Avast
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 06:38:21 PM »
There are lots of topics on this so a forums search should have returned some info.

Check this - Solution when Windows Security Center does not recognize antivirus or firewall

Windows Security Center not recognising avast!
Frequently asked questions about Windows Security Center
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Alexmipego

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 07:25:18 PM »
Thank you. I did a search yesterday but for some reason, probably wrogn keywords, I missed that entirely. It did fix the problem.

I really think Avast should be able to detect and fix the problem by itself. It should check the Windows Security Center warnings and errors and then execute the necessary steps to fix the problem. That would be cool.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 09:04:51 PM »
If avast were able to do this then it would kind of negate the purpose of the WSC to report the condition of your 'security' if avast were able to do it so to could other malware.

In some cases it could be because of remnants of another AV causing the problem avast can't clean-up after other programs.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 09:49:08 PM »
I really think Avast should be able to detect and fix the problem by itself.
Really a Microsoft problem... poor WMI service... if it works, you don't remember it. If it fails, headaches to the user... but problem is Microsoft in this case, not avast, not any other firewall or antivirus that STOP being detected from one time to another...
The best things in life are free.

Mad61

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 05:34:55 AM »
Sorry guys but this didnt work for me.  What should I do now?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 11:53:52 AM »
Sorry guys but this didnt work for me.  What should I do now?
Overinstall Windows seems to be the only solution.
You won't lose your programs and your data but you'll need to get all Windows Updates since the release of your installation CD.
Believe me, I've tried everything before doing this... I see no other solution to make this work as it should. In the Internet, Googling, I found no other solution. It's sad but it's the truth.
The best things in life are free.

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 12:13:44 PM »
Heah Mad 61 I had a similar problem with  other antiviruses (AVIRA Anrivir) , and the only think that help me was that, that Tech gived to you above. Maybe it's cruel, but I don't see another suggestion :-[