Author Topic: Virus Detection Performance  (Read 3026 times)

Jem

Virus Detection Performance
« on: January 28, 2007, 12:18:36 PM »
This is really directed at the dev team / analysts...

There are an increasing number of posts here concerning avast's inabilty to detect several 'in the wild' threats. This is a worry - can we have some feedback on all these threads please? I love avast as a product and would like to feel secure using it but currently I feel uncertain about buying Pro, which was / is my intention. I think some reassurance for the avast community would be welcome, before 'the rot' sets in. If you are developing a 'pro-active' / heuristics approach for V5, now would be a good time to give us some sort of preview.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Virus Detection Performance
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 01:05:30 PM »
Can we have some feedback on all these threads please?
I wish a second revolution in virus detection.
We have some improvements last year.
For all we can fell, they weren't enough. Better than posts/explanations, I wish the second revolution...
Even the engine improvement is being waited... not only the signature updates.
The best things in life are free.

mouniernetwork

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 10:24:17 PM »
Yes, I too like Avast very much but would like to see majors improvement in thhe detection of viruses.

Can we have some feedback on all these threads please?
I wish a second revolution in virus detection.
We have some improvements last year.
For all we can fell, they weren't enough. Better than posts/explanations, I wish the second revolution...
Even the engine improvement is being waited... not only the signature updates.

This is why Avast is the best  ;)

Al968

Jem

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 11:41:20 PM »
Ummm...sorry...why does that explain why Avast is the best? The point both myself, Tech and you it seems are making is that the virus detection is not what it should be.

Jeremy

mouniernetwork

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 11:53:32 PM »
Because it shows that they can completely create a revolution within their product to make it better.
That is I believe very rare for the other Antiviruses.
Example: Norton Just adds on every year without reorganizing things which makes it very heavy on resources.

Al968

Jem

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 08:59:41 AM »
Yes, well, I'm sure the revolution will be glorious, but in the meantime we need the analysts to respond to current threats using the current technology, in a timely manner. Otherwise, friendly forum or not, people will shy away and look to other solutions. In the end, we need a degree of confidence that the 'back room boys' are 'on the ball'.

Remember, al, Norton is not the alternative most will look at. There are many others, from a similar 'stable' that get good results and good reviews currently. Don't get me wrong, I DO like avast - my confidence though has dropped a couple of notches due to the number of 'missed detection' posts in this forum. Some of those should not have occured - they are current, well known threats that other AV's are picking up.

Jeremy