Author Topic: Husband disabled, now I can't turn back on  (Read 15591 times)

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
Re: Husband disabled, now I can't turn back on
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2007, 08:59:33 PM »
Yes, that's what he meant. Follow the rest of the steps, you've only done the first one.

Spiritsongs

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2007, 10:50:12 PM »
 :)  Hi Bethany :

I think we are unsure what you mean by "no other securitys systms" !? Are you saying you did
     NOT have an antiVIRUS program on the computer when you downloaded Avast ?
     Was there EVER an antiVIRUS program on this computer PRIOR to you downloading Avast ?
     If yes, which ONE and what "steps" were taken to get rid of it ?  How much time elapsed
     between removing any possible PRIOR antiVIRUS program and downloading Avast !?

enviouz

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2007, 11:52:56 AM »
i dont know how computer savy your husband is. but its possible he disabled the startup entry via msconfig. go to start menu/run and type msconfig. the check to be sure there is a check next to each of the following: in the startup tab: ashdisp. now under servicess click hide microsoft services (this is just for convienence sake) now make sure the following services are checked: avast! iavs control center, avast! antivirus, avast!mail scanner and avast! web scanner (all of these should be checked by default). then click apply and restart.

Glass

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2007, 12:01:08 PM »
Was your husband on a windows administrative account when he disabled avast?

And were you on an administrative account when you tried to restore it? I believe you will need to be.

Bethany

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2007, 04:03:01 PM »
"Computer savvy"...I'm afraid neither of us are that is why I need simple instructions.

Re. previous virus protection was what came with the PC and it ran out... that is why I installed Avast.  There was no  pre-existing anti-virus protection program functioning at the time of the Avast installatation...and after installation Avast detected no viruses on my PC.

I have Windows XP with Windows firewall and pop up blocker.
My husband and I have separate settings.  After talking with him last night (and to re-cap I forgot to tell him I installed Avast) so when he went on the PC to his settings Avast asked him if he wanted to run the program or words to that effect, so he just clicked on NO not knowing what Avast was. 
Avast asked him the same thing a few times and he just clicked on NO and that was all he did.

Okay yesterday I went into the control panel to add/remove programs and un-installed Avast.  I'm not sure what to do with the rest of the process as far as re-installing (think computer dummy ::)).  I thought what Tech meant was I would have to un-install the program then re-download the software. 
If anybody can help me by-pass doing that I WOULD BE VERY GRATEFUL! 
Thanks again to all who have been trying to help :)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 04:08:44 PM by Bethany »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2007, 04:08:09 PM »
Avast asked him if he wanted to run the program or words to that effect, so he just clicked on NO not knowing what Avast was.
I doubt avast asks anything... avast does not asks itself to work...

Okay yesterday I went into the control panel to add/remove programs and un-installed Avast.
Install it again now...
The best things in life are free.

Bethany

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2007, 04:12:35 PM »
Tech
All I know is what he told me..

As far as re-installing when I go to add/remove programs there is nothing listed there for Avast...that is why I don't know what to do.  ???

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2007, 04:50:53 PM »

okay, download the avast removal tool in tech's post. If you don't already have avast down loaded and saved, down load it at the same time as the tool.

Run the tool. reboot, install avast.

Download them to your desktop, easy to find that way.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2007, 04:55:13 PM »
<snip>
As far as re-installing when I go to add/remove programs there is nothing listed there for Avast...that is why I don't know what to do.  ???

You don't re-install from the add remove programs.

Find the file setupeng.exe that you originally downloaded and double click on that will start the installation process.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Bethany

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2007, 05:33:38 PM »
 :'( I'm sorry I need more basic instructions ...like when you say go do this and that I don't know what you mean.  I did a search of my files and found set up file but when I click on it nothing happens.  Would it be easier to just re-down load the software under the circumstances of me not knowing what to do?  Sorry...

PS I just hovered my cursor over set up file and it says its empty.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 05:36:31 PM by Bethany »

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2007, 06:33:08 PM »
   Would it be easier to just re-down load the software under the circumstances of me not knowing what to do?  Sorry...

Yes, that's what tech and I have been trting to help you with.

Please:
1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Use Avast Uninstall for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Install again.
6. Boot.

1. download avast and save it to your desktop
2. down load the uninstall utility (the link is in step 3 in tech's post)
3. locate the uninstall utility on your desk top, double click it
4. there should be a white box, to the right of it is a button, click it
5. go to c:\program files\alwil software
6. click on the alwil software folder, click ok
7. run the utility
8. reboot
9. find the avast setup that you downloaded, double click it
10. reboot
11. don't forget to update  ;D

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2007, 06:48:42 PM »
When you originally downloaded avast you should have saved it to somewhere on your Hard Disk, desktop or and other location of your choice, it is that which you need to find and double click.

It is important that you find the correct file as there may be many setup files on your system by hopefully only one setupeng.exe. Was this the one you found, it shouldn't be empty but about  12-13MB in size.

If it is empty you will have to download it again, http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

I assume you are using the English version, right click on the Download button next to the English version (see image), select Save As or Save Link As (depending on your browser).

Use that to install avast.

@ oldman,
If you check a few posts ago it would appear that Bethany has already uninstalled avast.
Okay yesterday I went into the control panel to add/remove programs and un-installed Avast.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2007, 07:36:34 PM »
@ oldman,
If you check a few posts ago it would appear that Bethany has already uninstalled avast.

Yes, I saw that and replied to her that she needed to follow the rest of tech's instructions. She asked for  more instructions on re-installing.  ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2007, 07:50:12 PM »
We're sorry too... we're trying to drive you too fast. Thanks for your comprehension too 8)
Now, with Oldman's instructions, can you make it work or you still need more detailed info.
The best things in life are free.

Spiritsongs

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2007, 08:43:28 PM »
 :)  Hi Bethany :

For unknown reasons, my fellow "Helpers" seem to be ignoring the SIGNIFICANCE of your
    "previous virus protection....it ran out" and "no pre-existing anti-virus protection program
     functioning at the time of the Avast installation" !? Even remnants of a PREVIOUS,
     non-functioning antiVIRUS program can adversely affect the installation of a subsequent
     antivirus program, so first things first.
     What is the NAME of the previous, currently non-functioning antivirus program ? Has it been
     "uninstalled" from your "Add or Remove Programs" ? Have you run its "Removal/Uninstall Tool" ?
      Have you use your computer's "Search > All files and folders", using the appropiate Search
     "term" and been able to "Delete" all appropiate Items ? I feel these questions need to be
      answered and performed BEFORE install Avast .