Author Topic: Husband disabled, now I can't turn back on  (Read 15645 times)

Bethany

Re: Husband disabled, now I can't turn back on
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2007, 01:33:16 AM »
Thank you all for your help!
Okay guys...back to square 1...I have a Dell which came with a trial period of McAfee virus protection service.  I did not find McAfee in the program add/remove area (I may of removed it but I don't recall??) but  I did a search on my computer and found McAfee program files on my C drive.  So how do I properly get rid of it? 
Get a remove tool from the McAfee website I assume?
Then what, or will it prompt me on what to do?

Bethany

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2007, 01:39:29 AM »
I also found a McA spam killer folder.
The other McA folder says its empty

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2007, 01:43:50 AM »
McAfee has an uninstall tool that you could run to ensure any possible remnants are removed.
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/VSCleanupTool.exe

You could try the above, but what concerns me is the word Dell, which is notorious for difficulty in removing some of its installed software.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Bethany

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2007, 02:56:57 AM »
I got the tool from McA and removed the McA files.  I will work on reinstalling Avast tomorrow and report back to all my kind helpers...no doubt with more questions.  :P

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2007, 11:55:13 AM »
I got the tool from McA and removed the McA files.  I will work on reinstalling Avast tomorrow and report back to all my kind helpers...no doubt with more questions.  :P
Great. You're almost there 8)
The best things in life are free.

Spiritsongs

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2007, 07:35:37 PM »
 :)  Hi Bethany :

Now that McAfee antivirus appears to be COMPLETELY removed from your computer, it may be
     helpful if you clarify WHAT you mean by "My husband and I have separate settings." !? For me,
     and possibly Others, it would be helpful to know What it says when you go to your Control
     Panel, then click on "User Accounts"; is someone there listed as the "computer administrator" ?
     If yes, who's name is there ? Beside it should be "Guest" or some similar-type "label"; is anyone
     listed there ? If yes, who's Name ?

Bethany

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2007, 03:10:58 AM »
I've been sick...still am...I will return in a day or so to continue with this. Thanks.  :)

Bethany

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2007, 11:20:51 PM »
Update: I downloaded Avast again and I have my two little blue balls back  8) and everything is running A-OK.
Just wanted to say thank you to the people who helped.
I really appreciated it.

Oh by the way I have "WinPatrol" on my computer which guards my computer from unwanted stuff sneaking in and that is what my husband saw...the WinPatrol alert kept asking him if it was OK to run Avast and he kept clicking NO so some how that must be what screwed things up.  At any rate I'm all set for now.  Hope this Avast doesn't give me too much trouble.  From some of the posts on this forum I'm wondering.

(((HUGS))) from Bethany  ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2007, 12:14:41 AM »
I'm glad that you have finally found the source of the problem and hopefully educated your husband ;D

I trust that you are feeling better now.

Don't worry unduly about what you see here, after all it is a support forum and people come here with their problems those many, many thousands without problems don't make an appearance ;D and we are here to help.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2007, 04:15:39 PM »
Don't worry unduly about what you see here, after all it is a support forum and people come here with their problems those many, many thousands without problems don't make an appearance ;D and we are here to help.

For sure. To echo what David said, I've used Avast for years, and have never, ever had a problem with the program. I check in often to the forums, and scan the first page of issues on this forum, the Linux forum, and the General forum. I stop and read what is of interest, and comment occasionally.

I'm interested in how Avast "ticks" internally, so I'm here regularly, otherwise I'd be one of the "many thousands" who just use the program and probably not even know that this forum exists.

Glass

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2007, 04:45:52 PM »
Oh, yes. I am here often hoping to see issues and never get enough  ;D

Bethany

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2007, 09:16:02 PM »
I do have a question on the 2 little blue balls.
On the one with the "i' on it it says you can "merge with main avast icon".  Can I do that and still be able to use the functions the i ball has on it?  Do you know what I mean?
I use to always click away in my blissful ignorance trying to figure out how things work but now I'm a little more leary of doing that so freely.  I sometimes get in trouble for random clicking.  :-[
As for hubby...well that is a long term educational project.  ;)

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2007, 09:53:00 PM »
I do have a question on the 2 little blue balls.
On the one with the "i' on it it says you can "merge with main avast icon".  Can I do that and still be able to use the functions the i ball has on it?  Do you know what I mean?

Yes. You can combine them together. When you update the virus data base, the second ball (with the "i") will magically appear while it's doing it's thing. When it's done, it'll disappear again.

As for hubby...well that is a long term educational project.  ;)
You must know my wife. That's exactly how she refers to me.  :)

Bethany

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2007, 03:40:57 AM »
Thanks OC and as for what wives say...you know we aren't happy unless we have something to whine about.  ;)