Author Topic: slow ?  (Read 2912 times)

outboard

slow ?
« on: January 29, 2007, 03:04:19 AM »
um i seem to be having a problem with avast slowing everything down to a crawl when it's on access protection is enabled...

i have an mirc bot running trivia in the background all the time and another script active most of the time and a live messenger always on

whenever i type into any of these chat programs  avast is chewing up system resources to the point that 90% of what i type goes to keyboard buffer.... i do not type faster than 80wpm   

i must have something set wrong because in the end the only way to use my comp is to turn off avast

any suggestions  ??? 

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: slow ?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 10:14:15 AM »
Does it help if you pause/stop the Instant Messaging provider (e.g. by rightclicking the blue avast! tray icon)?

outboard

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 10:19:55 AM »
yep that seams to solve the problem ... what is not protected now  ?

and is it possible to add avast into the messenger options as the default  file scanner ?

and if so what is the name of the avast file to specify  ?

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 12:09:18 PM »

Hi outboard! The Instant Messaging provider or just IM, is the provider that checks the tarffic & files, that crrently in use, or downloaded by your IM software e.g. IRC, ICQ, Trillian or others.
what is not protected now  ?
See above. ;)
and is it possible to add avast into the messenger options as the default  file scanner ?
If the Instant Messaging provider is activated, you don't need to add anything, You are protected.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 12:19:15 PM »

The Instant Messangers (the files downloaded by their processes are not scanned). Do you have any big logfiles on disk that keep changing frequently? (corresponding to mIRC or MSN, I mean)

and if so what is the name of the avast file to specify  ?

Yes - ashQuick.exe in avast! installation folder.

outboard

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 02:38:03 PM »
The Instant Messangers (the files downloaded by their processes are not scanned). Do you have any big logfiles on disk that keep changing frequently? (corresponding to mIRC or MSN, I mean)

yes i do have large logs constantly updating .... is avast scanning those log files every time they are updated ?

Yes - ashQuick.exe in avast! installation folder.

OK i have this now in the messenger options as the " scan files for viruses with "

does that mean i can leave the instant messaging provider off and am still covered?

i do not transfer any files across mirc  only through messenger

if i understand correctly i am covered and the only other way of is to stop logging the mirc.. which at this stage i don't want to do

thanks for your help

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 02:46:04 PM »
yes i do have large logs constantly updating .... is avast scanning those log files every time they are updated ?
Maybe... depends on your Standard Shield sensibility.
Maybe it helps if you use the Exclusion lists:

For the Standard Shield provider (on-access scanning):
Left click the 'a' blue icon, click on the provider icon at left and then Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and click on Add button...

For the other providers (on-demand scanning such as the screen-saver or the Simple User Interface):
Right click the 'a' blue icon, click Program Settings.
Go to Exclusions tab and click on Add button...

does that mean i can leave the instant messaging provider off and am still covered?
Standard Shield at High sensibility will cover this.

i do not transfer any files across mirc  only through messenger
Less trouble though...

if i understand correctly i am covered and the only other way of is to stop logging the mirc.. which at this stage i don't want to do
Maybe you could test the other options before.
The best things in life are free.