Author Topic: Log Viewer Question  (Read 2755 times)

Will91

Log Viewer Question
« on: January 29, 2007, 08:05:22 AM »
Hi:

I am very new to Avast 4.7 Home.

I came across the Log Viewer feature and under Alerts tab, it lists several Win32 Trojan gen, Win32 Adware gen, and AAVM scanning warning x aavm check file.  Under Error tab, it lists a few aavm scanning error x aavm check file. 

I have never gotten any "alerts" during actual web browsing and only found them in the log viewer.  There is nothing under "critical" "alert" or "emergency".

Can someone please educate me on what these "alerts" are all about and if they are of concern?

Also, does Avast protect me against malicious installation of trojan web dialers?  I use dial up and I have heard that trojan web dialers can force your computer to dial "900" numbers that then appear as expensive charges on the phone bill.

Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Log Viewer Question
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 01:00:50 PM »
Can someone please educate me on what these "alerts" are all about and if they are of concern?
Don't worry... verbose of the logs.

Also, does Avast protect me against malicious installation of trojan web dialers?  I use dial up and I have heard that trojan web dialers can force your computer to dial "900" numbers that then appear as expensive charges on the phone bill.
In most cases, you'll be protected. It will be good if you download, install, update and run other trojan remover tools: a-squared or Free AVG Antispyware (trojan removers). Some users recommend Spyware Terminator or SUPERantispyware.

Use the immunization of Windows Advanced Care features of spyware/adware cleaning and removal.
The best things in life are free.

Will91

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 05:59:47 AM »
Hi and thank you.

I thought trojan dialers were a virus and that Avast would provide full protection?  Are the trojan dialers actually a spyware?

I have not heard of the trojan remover tools but have heard of Webroot (www.webroot.com).  Would you recommend Webroot Spy Sweeper?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 12:19:44 PM »
I thought trojan dialers were a virus and that Avast would provide full protection?  Are the trojan dialers actually a spyware?
avast should protect you against malwares (virus, spywares, trojans, etc.) but not a software is perfect, something could have passed...

I have not heard of the trojan remover tools but have heard of Webroot (www.webroot.com).  Would you recommend Webroot Spy Sweeper?
Very good antispyware.
But there are free ones like AVGas, a-squared, for instance.
The best things in life are free.