Author Topic: Avast for new computer  (Read 12078 times)

Richard M

Avast for new computer
« on: January 29, 2007, 11:18:23 PM »
I have been using Avast on my 98se computer and now have a new computer with XP. What is the best way to get Avast on to the XP computer as it does not have any anti virus at all at present. Can I download it direct to the new computer without getting any viruses or should I download to the old computer and transfer it across somehow?
Any help in simple language would be great.
Thanks in advance
Richard

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast for new computer
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 11:28:02 PM »
Download the latest version of avast on your old system, copy the setupeng.exe to a CD or USB pen drive, do the same for any security software you may need, firewall, anti-spyware, etc. never go on the internet with your trousers round your ankles. Install on your new system from the CD, etc.

You can use the same registration key if you have the registration email you were sent otherwise re-register with the old system and save the email to the CD, etc. Complete the avast! 4 Home Registration form and you will receive an email from register @ avast.com (without the spaces) with your registration key.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Richard M

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 11:43:05 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply. Could I download it direct onto a usb stick on the old computer?

Richard

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 12:20:46 AM »
I don't see why not provided your usb stick is recognised in explorer.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 01:00:46 AM »
Can I download it direct to the new computer without getting any viruses
I can't imagine why will you get any virus when you're downloading avast, an antivirus...

or should I download to the old computer and transfer it across somehow?
No. You're not allowed to transfer files. You need to install in the old computer. You can use the same Home Registration key.

'Normal' sensitivity level of Standard Shield is the best balance between performance and protection.
Do you need further help on configuration avast?
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 01:19:08 AM »
Can I download it direct to the new computer without getting any viruses
I can't imagine why will you get any virus when you're downloading avast, an antivirus...

Richard's concern was going on line with his new system without protection 'prior' to downloading and installing avast. That is why I confirmed he should download the setupeng.exe file using his 'existing' (old) system to install off-line on the new one.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 01:59:58 AM »
Richard's concern was going on line with his new system without protection 'prior' to downloading and installing avast. That is why I confirmed he should download the setupeng.exe file using his 'existing' (old) system to install off-line on the new one.
I agree... but I think it's a little paranoid to think that downloading avast from the official website and installing it will compromise computer security...

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 02:07:08 AM »
downloading avast from the avast won't compromise security, but being on-line without an anti-virus installed will the setup file is 13MB as a dial-up user I wouldn't like to be on line for that length of time (I don't know what type of connection Richard has), especially if you are without a firewall also.

Not to mention the XP installation is likely to need a trip to windows update to close any vulnerabilities that may well be being exploited, no thanks, surfing in the nude (even for a very short time) can give you a nasty rash.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 02:10:48 AM »
Surfing in the nude (even for a very short time)
Updating Microsoft Windows and installing both firewall and antivirus I have never a problem to be nude this time.
Ok... I'm trying to don't get paranoid ;D

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 02:48:15 AM »
DavidR,

your caution is well advised but if the new computer is like most folks' delivered from the manufacturer with XP on it then at least it will come almost certainly with the Windows XP firewall on by default. 

Richard M

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 09:45:17 AM »
Thanks everyone for the advice. I was not suggesting that I would get any virus from the Avast site merely that being on dial up I did not want to be exposed to anything else sneaking in while I download for a long time.
Yes Windows firewall will be on until I get a better one downloaded
Thanks
Richard

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 12:22:20 PM »
I did not want to be exposed to anything else sneaking in while I download for a long time.
Yes Windows firewall will be on until I get a better one downloaded
So, go ahead... no fear.
Indeed there are good free firewalls better then the Windows one.
http://www.matousec.com/projects/windows-personal-firewall-analysis/leak-tests-results.php#firewalls-ratings
http://www.firewallleaktester.com/tests_overview.php
http://www.thefreecountry.com/security/firewalls.shtml

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 02:54:21 PM »
Surfing in the nude (even for a very short time)
Updating Microsoft Windows and installing both firewall and antivirus I have never a problem to be nude this time.
Ok... I'm trying to don't get paranoid ;D

When I first installed XP Pro SP1 (update from win98se) I got hit by Blaster within a few minutes and all I was doing was getting security updates at windows update. I can't recall the firewall but that was in my AVG days ;D before avast.

Richard M

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 05:05:36 PM »
 I have now downloaded Avast and installed but can't get any emails now. There is supposed to be an email protection wizard but it does not appear when you go on to start- programs-avast. It appears below Help on the old computer but not on the new one. Any idea where it is, or is it a faulty download?
Thanks
Richard

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 05:17:44 PM »
I have now downloaded Avast and installed but can't get any emails now. There is supposed to be an email protection wizard but it does not appear when you go on to start- programs-avast. It appears below Help on the old computer but not on the new one. Any idea where it is, or is it a faulty download?
1. Configure your email accounts to work without the antivirus and test them.
2. If everything is fine, close all your email clients (programs).
3. Start Menu > All programs > avast antivirus > Mail Protection Wizard
4. Follow the non Outlook/Exchange option (i.e., the second one).
    You can choose the supported email programs and select all the accounts
    (even the ones created in the future).
5. Configure your email accounts to use avast! as antivirus.