Author Topic: switching off  (Read 4218 times)

bottomburb

switching off
« on: January 31, 2007, 02:30:07 PM »
i have avast! 4 HOME and was wondering how do i switch it off or stop it from scanning my news server downloads ?
i use a program called grabit which uses a news server 2 grab items much like an email .
but the problem is that it slows down the download .
how do i stop it from scanning every piece ?
i had the same problem when i used another antivirus but i could switch it of until i had finished .
also is there a web_link i can use so i can link our website 2 your home page or can i just link it ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: switching off
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 03:34:37 PM »
Internet Mail provider, Customise, NNTP Tab, disable scanning.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

joeloucyn

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 07:10:09 PM »
Here is a link from the supplier of Grabit with the same information for your website:
http://support.shemes.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=20&nav=0,2

bottomburb

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 01:51:41 AM »
yeah cheers 4 that .
i cant use the Switch to Enhanced User Interface unless i buy it  :-[
i was hoping that i could c if it would conflict with my downloading b 4 i dip my hand in the pocket , it doesn't look like it will but i have never seen this antivirus .
i was trying 2 find 1 that could tell if i was opening email or using my news server !

the problem i have with avast is that i don't even have an option 2 switch it off .
I'll give it a bit longer 2 c how things go but i get the feeling i might as well go back 2 using my old antivirus (better the devil u know , if u know what i mean)

its still a very good program

joeloucyn

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 02:04:52 AM »
You don't have to switch to Enhanced User Interface to disable NNTP scanning! That is an error in the instructions at that web link just ignore that part in the instructions, otherwise it is as DavidR stated. I have avast Home edition and I can switch off NNTP scanning as per DavidR instructions. Sorry I did not notice that error in the web link but you do not have to switch to Enhanced User Interface to shut off NNTP scanning and you will find avast to be the best! Another way to do it is right-click the "a" icon by your clock and choose "On-Access Protection Control" then "Internet Mail" then "Customize" then "NNTP" tab untick "Scan Inbound News" also untick "Scan Outbound News" as per DavidR.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 02:13:32 AM by Joeloucyn »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 02:35:09 AM »
avast has an option (default I believe) to show an icon when mail is being scanned (Advanced Tab in the same Internet Mail provider), the avast icon also rotates when scanning.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

joeloucyn

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 02:47:02 AM »
As they say "A picture is worth a thousand words",
Thanks for the screen shot, DavidR that should explain it perfectly.

bottomburb

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 04:24:38 PM »
thanks 4 all your help  :) but I'm sorry 2 say that mine looks nothing like that !
when its scanning it appears in the task bar but is unclickable , the options r limited .

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 04:32:52 PM »
Does the ' a ' avast icon look like this first image, if so just double click it.
Click the Details button if it doesn't have the icons on the left (background of my image).

bottomburb

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 08:15:23 PM »
honestly you'll have 2 take my word 4 it ..... i can't get 2 it 2 stop or change it !
i don't know what else 2 do . I'm not a kid that can't find his way around a putter (although I'm starting 2 feel that way) . i just don't have the option 2 change the settings .
i have the simple user interface i cant change anything apart from the level of protection .
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i234/bullethead_6_6_6/ScreenShot002.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i234/bullethead_6_6_6/ScreenShot001.jpg

i hope those worked ... yep !
as u can c while grabit is working its in the taskbar .... the only time i c it there is with grabit !
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 08:21:20 PM by bottomburb »

joeloucyn

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 09:59:54 PM »
OK, now I see what's wrong! You are using the trial version of avast Professional and an old version too! If you go here http://www.avast.com/i_kat_207.php?lang=eng
 and register for the free Home version, you will be able to switch off the NNTP scanning.  You must use a valid email address.

You have to re-register every 12 months for updates but it will continue to be free. Avast will email you a License key that you copy and paste into "License key" through the "About avast!.." on a right-click of the "a" icon. You have to be on the internet to do this and avast will update to the latest program and VPS def pattern
I have used avast Home for a number of years  on my home computers and am very happy with it, I think you will too.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 10:15:42 PM by Joeloucyn »

bottomburb

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 10:19:23 PM »
As they say "A picture is worth a thousand words",
Thanks for the screen shot, DavidR that should explain it perfectly.

yep u can say that helped . lol
it does look a good program .
again thanks 4 all your help .

joeloucyn

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 10:23:23 PM »
Did you register? I hope you are fixed up now and should be able to turn off NNTP scanning.