Author Topic: Avast 4.7 Windows Shutdown problem  (Read 3596 times)

Pippin91

Avast 4.7 Windows Shutdown problem
« on: February 02, 2007, 02:32:00 PM »
Hi,

I am using the Home version of Avast! 4.7 and for the last 2 weeks or so I am suffering from a Windows Shutdown Problem. I am running XP SP2, by the way.

Altough Avast starts, runs and auto-updates OK, each time I try and stop my PC there is a short delay before one of the typical Windows message screens appears which indicates that the ALWIL package won't shut down.  I am thus obliged to kill the task in order to allow Windows to shut down normally.

I would like to add that I originally had some doubts about the Avast and ZoneAlarm free versions co-existing, so I checked out posts on this subject, elsewhere on this forum, and made sure everything was OK with my configuration. This was before my shutdown problem arrived, so when the problem arose I completely removed and re-installed ZoneAlarm, the latest free version of which works perfectly. I'm pretty sure that ZA isn't causing the shutdown problem, because if I close ZA manually before asking XP to shut down, I still get the ALWIL package can't shut down error discussed above.

Any ideas out there!

Thanks for your help

Pippin91

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast 4.7 Windows Shutdown problem
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 04:47:57 PM »
There is a possibility that avast may be scanning something that is running in the background at shutdown.

What other programs do you have running on boot that may also be running at shutdown ?

In Program Settings, Common, are any of the following ticked (see image) ?

Are there any errors in the windows event viewer, relating to this, if so please post complete text or screenshot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Dave Cohen

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 10:31:53 PM »
I just returned to using Avast after running Avira. I'm getting same problem. I also use ZA, I just click end task.
Dave Cohen

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 12:24:07 AM »
Are any of these options enabled ?

If not, please note the process you have to end and post it.

What other programs do you have running in the background (those that start on boot, etc.) one of these might have an interaction with avast trying to scan its activity, that would tend to make avast finish last.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security