Author Topic: Windows Vista [problems with web access]  (Read 6742 times)

rehinger

Windows Vista [problems with web access]
« on: February 03, 2007, 06:59:20 AM »
I installed version 4.7 on a brand new laptop running Windows Vista and now I can't access the Internet from that machine. If I disable Avast then I can get on. Any suggestions. Thanks!!! 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 12:44:41 PM by Vlk »

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
Re: Windows Vista
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 09:55:29 AM »
Welcome to the forum! :)

Do you get any error-message?

Do you have a firewall? Check the settings in the firewall.

The following files should be allowed to connect:

ashWebSv.exe (avast web scanner)
ashMaiSv.exe (avast! email scanner service)
avast.setup (avast! update executable)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 09:57:27 AM by Bluesman »
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

Kelly64

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 12:15:14 PM »
I'm experiencing a similar problem.  I have Windows XP X64 (AMD Athlon processor w/4 GB of RAM) and Vista Ultimate (release version).  I've applied all mandatory patches.  I'm using Avast Professional V 4.7.942. 

With Avast active, I can visit *some* websites.  But others (notably www.microsoft.com) fail: if I stop On-Access protection, the site *immediately* finishes loading.

The only firewall I have running is the Windows firewall.  Avast is on the Exceptions list, and I've added ashMaiSv.exe and ashWebSv.exe to the list as well.  I wasn't able to get the Windows Firewall exception list to find avast.setup: it only looks for .exe, .com, and .icd files.  I have Avast running perfectly on my Windows XP x64 box sitting next to my Vista machine and attached to exactly the same network.  Both are running Internet Explorer 7.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 12:42:48 PM »
1. Is this 32-bit or 64-bit build of Vista? Which language version?

2. Is the problem related to Web Shield? I.e. if you only stop Web Shield, does that resolve the problem or not? Also, what if you only pause it (instead of stopping it)?

3. If it is related to Web Shield, does it have any effect if you manually configure IE to use the WebShield proxy (localhost:12080) as described here: http://www.avast.com/eng/faq-home-webshield.html ?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Kelly64

Re: Windows Vista [problems with web access]
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 01:49:26 PM »
Answering Vlk's questions for my particular circumstances...

1: 64 bit build, English
2: Yes, it's related to Web Shield; I tested this by repeating my visit to the sites that fail and disabling *only* the Web Shield provider- as soon as I did so, the site loaded; so long as Web Shield is running, it fails to load.  Pausing does not correct the problem (I.E.: the effected web pages will only successfully load if I terminate the provider)
3.  I tried manually configuring the WebShield proxy as described.  It appears to make no difference (I.E.: with the proxy in place and WebShield active, access to key websites such as www.microsoft.com fails; as soon as I disable WebShield, the page loads successfully)

Thank you for your interest and attention regarding this problem!

kelleyramsey

Re: Windows Vista [problems with web access]
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 06:01:07 AM »
Parrot Kelly64. I get the exact same results, taking same actions with same outcome.
Running Vista Ultimate x64 English. Problems especially with Microsoft’s web site. However have set Google as home page and from with the home page I can navigate but not typing URL’s in the address bar.
Thanks for your attention