Author Topic: Avast/Exchange/SMTP Issue  (Read 33222 times)

scrimpyd

Re: Avast/Exchange/SMTP Issue
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2006, 10:02:34 PM »
So far things are looking good.

In the last 4 days 20 hours the 'MS SMTP 200/2003 Provider' has processed 1386683 emails.
The 'Exchange 2000/2003 Provider' has precessed 3075252 emails.

I did move the Exchange Virtual Servers over to Server1 this morning so I could reboot Server2. Server2 still gives me a DCOM error in the event log when the server boots up. Not sure what is causing it yet. I moved the cluster back to Server2 and it is running again.  I am not sure if I should be concerned about the DCOM error or not. I dont see that error on Server1, the only differences in the two is Server1 does not have Avast installed on it, Server2 does. Once Server2 is up everything works as I would expect. So I am still trying to figure out what is causing the error. I will keep looking. I have looked in the DCOM Config and I dont see any process with that ID to give it the permissions that might need.

If you are curious about the error, here are the details it gives:
----------------------------------------
Event Type:   Error
Event Source:   DCOM
Event Category:   None
Event ID:   10016
Date:      11/20/2006
Time:      7:31:01 AM
User:      NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer:   SERVER2
Description:
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{9DA0E106-86CE-11D1-8699-00C04FB98036}
 to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18).  This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
----------------------------------------

scrimpyd

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2006, 03:46:54 PM »
Howdy All-
I solved the DCOM error.  Not sure what changed but the CLSID 9DA0E106-86CE-11D1-8699-00C04FB98036 finally showed up in the DCOM config in the Component Services MMC.  ???  I checked the Security tab and it was set to 'Customize' But when I clicked on the 'Edit' button there were no users or groups in the 'Launch Permissions' window. I added SYSTEM, INTERACTIVE and Administrators and gave them the correct rights to launch and activate. Rebooted the server and now NO DCOM error.
I just wish I knew what triggered that CLSID to show up in the DCOM config finally.  ???

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2006, 04:40:29 PM »
So far so good? ;)
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

scrimpyd

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2006, 07:17:45 PM »
Server2 ran great over the weekend. I am going to install 4.7 and the fixed dll file on our Exchange Front-End  and OWA server, Server3 today. I will let you know how that goes.

dan

scrimpyd

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2006, 04:05:54 PM »
I thought I would post an update.
I have Avast 4.7 with the .dll file Vlk posted on two servers.
The product is working great. There are no errors in the event logs on either system.

What should I do about the AvSmtp2K.dll.sum file in the program directory?
Will the patched .dll be included in future versions of Avast?
Should I still be doing program updates along with the virus database updates?

Thanks Vlk for all the help.
:)
dan

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2006, 05:34:02 PM »
Hey, thanks a lot for the update!

Yes, the fix will be included in the next program update (scheduled just before Xmas). You don't need to worry about anything -- the patched AvSmtp2K.dll file will get replaced by the official (fixed) version when you perform the update (so: yes, I'd recommend to install all program updates in any case as there will be some other fixes/enhancements as well).

Thanks
Vlk

scrimpyd

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2006, 05:41:44 PM »
Do I need to delete the AvSmtp2K.dll.sum file from the directory? I thought that you had said the this file would prevent the update from overwriting the AvSmtp2K.dll file in the programs directory.
Just want to be clear about this files purpose.
Thanks
dan

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2006, 07:12:56 PM »
You don't need to delete it.

If you look inside the AvSmtp2K.dll.sum file, you'll notice the Build= line. That is, the .sum file (which tells the updater to ignore the patched version) is bound to a specific version of avast.

Once the version number increases, the .dll file will get replaced by the new, official version, and the .sum file will be deleted automatically (as it won't be needed anymore).

Hope this explains it. :)

Cheers
Vlk

gadeem0517

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2006, 05:07:40 PM »
Vlk,
   We are also having positive results with the patch.  Thanks for your quick response

gilisa

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2007, 09:51:28 AM »
Hi,

Where I can download this patch, I always have this trouble at the restart of my SBS. :(

Thank's in advance.
GG.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2007, 05:39:24 PM »
The latest version of avast! Server (and SBS) Edition has the problem fixed already. Please update to the latest version.

Thanks
Vlk