Author Topic: smtp refusal  (Read 3464 times)

bljones

smtp refusal
« on: February 05, 2007, 06:37:45 PM »
Just startedon broadband, using xp sp2, and zone alarm. Can receive e-mails but not send on either outlook express or thunderbird. Password box keeps coming up, but won't connect to mailer. Combed the registry to no avail. what is blocking outgoing mail?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: smtp refusal
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 07:41:10 PM »
Does your ISP email server require you to logon, normally most do for SMTP I know there is an option in OE to do this, I suppose there would be a similar option in thunderbird, check that it is ticked.

What port does the smtp mail go through, 25 the default smtp port or does it require an SSL connection using a different port ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

arilo76

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 09:44:30 PM »
Hi  all
I'm new to this antivirus and  this forum so if i ask some stupid questions please let me know and forgive me . :P
I just install Avast home edition on my WinXp Sp2, any way, my question is i have outlook and i set the avast to scan the ports of the pop and smtp and because i use ports  995 and 465 i change the default ones  on the ones i already mention, and look like there isn't any problem at all, but i was wondering because the avast setting include two tabs  Internet email and the Outlook/Exchange , and I just use the Office Outlook  I changed the doors I mention above in both Outlook/exchange and internet email, so my questions are:
1 the outlook/exchange refer to the outlook is on the win2003 servers or is for both ( office outlook and the outlook Exchange server)? ???
2 in the message sent should be a note from Avast let know the recipient  of my  email the message was scan? ???
3 there is a way to set up a schedule  scan? ???

Thank you  :)
arilo76

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 12:16:53 AM »
There is no point in changing/adding the 95, 465 ports in the Internet Mail program as avast can't monitor SSL/TLS secure email traffic, that is the whole point.

The difference is, in MS Outlook (not express) the avast outlook/exchange plug-in works within the email client and as such can monitor the traffic.

I'm a little confused by question one, the Outlook/Exchange (plug-in) is for the MS Outlook or MS Exchange email clients and nothing to do with servers.

If you are only using MS Outlook and no other pop3 email client like OE or thunderbird, etc. then you don't need the Internet Mail provider.

You don't say what version of avast you are using, home or pro. The scheduled scan options are only available in the Pro version.

Check this work around out - HOWTO: Scheduled Automatic Scans avast! Home Version!

The major disadvantage with the task scheduler trick of using ashquick.exe is, it will scan every file of the hdd, partition, folder or file that you set it to scan; even those files not considered a potential threat, this can take a long time. It is possible to add certain folders to the exclusions list for say your media files, etc. This could leave you vulnerable if that folder got infected as it wouldn't be scanned by the on-demand scanner as you have excluded it.

The Pro version gives a lot more flexibility and the scan would follow the settings and exclusions, etc. of the regular scan.

With the different levels of protection of and the fall back of the Standard Shield, I find the need for daily scheduled scans lessened. I prefer to do a manual scan with my regular weekly maintenance tasks.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

arilo76

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 08:21:31 PM »
Thanks for your replied  and suggestions  :)

i use avast home edition

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 08:36:57 PM »
No problem, welcome to the forums.

For the Home version the work around is fine, though I have never needed to use it. I just prefer to do a weekly manual scan.

Let us know if you need more help.

Offline Navvy

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 09:37:43 PM »
Just startedon broadband, using xp sp2, and zone alarm. Can receive e-mails but not send on either outlook express or thunderbird. Password box keeps coming up, but won't connect to mailer. Combed the registry to no avail. what is blocking outgoing mail?

Just in case bljones hasn't solved his problem yet, here's another suggestion.

You said you'd just started on broadband.  If you were previously using dial-up and your email was working OK, then you probably need to change to using a different SMTP server.  Your dial-up one may only work when you're connected to it via their dial-up line.  Some ISPs allow you to use authentication, but others just block you completely.

Try looking through the help pages on the websites of your email provider and your broadband provider.