Author Topic: Totally Lost!!!!  (Read 24204 times)

Aria1206

Totally Lost!!!!
« on: February 05, 2007, 07:49:04 PM »
I am brand new to Avast 4.7 for home.  I have no idea how to scan for viruses; how to find trojan horses popups; basically a total dummy on this program. 

Would someone walk me through this step by step?  I am running WXPand have AOL dialup.  All help will be most appreciated.

Aria ???

Spiritsongs

Re: Totally Lost!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 08:17:45 PM »
 :)  Hi Aria :

First off, we should know IF you have or have had any other antivirus program on your
     computer ? If yes, what is the NAME and what have you done to "remove" it from your
     computer ?

Since you use AOL, do you use them to "surf" the internet, or do you surf by using a program
     such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc !? I ask because there is a POTENTIAL "conflict" with
     those using AOL, which is explained in the "Web Shield Issues" of our "FAQs", found at www.avast.com/eng/faq-avast-4-home-professional.html ; have you read this. particularly :
   " Q: I use the 'AOL browser' for web browsing and reading emails via the 'AOL' Web mail. Does avast! Web Shield work with this program?
When I check the scanned count number on Web Shield configuration page, it always shows 0.

A:

Sorry, Web Shield cannot scan connections from AOL browser. It is however capable of protecting standard browsers (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, ...) used with the AOL dial-up or broadband services. "

Otherwise, when you RIGHT-click the Avast blueist "a" ball in your System Tray and select "Start 
 Avast Antivirus", eventually a screen titled "simple user interface" should appear. Read the info
 there .

Are you using any of AOL's "free" security programs ? If yes, which one(s) ?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 08:19:28 PM by Spiritsongs »

Aria1206

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 03:33:19 AM »
:)  Hi Aria :

First off, we should know IF you have or have had any other antivirus program on your
     computer ? If yes, what is the NAME and what have you done to "remove" it from your
     computer ?

Since you use AOL, do you use them to "surf" the internet, or do you surf by using a program
     such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc !? I ask because there is a POTENTIAL "conflict" with
     those using AOL, which is explained in the "Web Shield Issues" of our "FAQs", found at www.avast.com/eng/faq-avast-4-home-professional.html ; have you read this. particularly :
   " Q: I use the 'AOL browser' for web browsing and reading emails via the 'AOL' Web mail. Does avast! Web Shield work with this program?
When I check the scanned count number on Web Shield configuration page, it always shows 0.

A:

Sorry, Web Shield cannot scan connections from AOL browser. It is however capable of protecting standard browsers (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, ...) used with the AOL dial-up or broadband services. "

Otherwise, when you RIGHT-click the Avast blueist "a" ball in your System Tray and select "Start 
 Avast Antivirus", eventually a screen titled "simple user interface" should appear. Read the info
 there .

Are you using any of AOL's "free" security programs ? If yes, which one(s) ?

I had Norton Antivirus on my computer but uninstalled it.

I use AOL to surf the internet and sometimes IE.

I did right click the blue ball to start Avast and nothing happened.  I did this while online.  Perhaps that is the problem? 

I desperately want to learn how to do a virus scan and make sure no trojan horses or other creepy crawlers get onto my computer.  I have a difficult time understanding terminology, so please bear with me.

Thank you for responding.
Aria ???

mauserme

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 05:53:16 AM »
Hi Aria1206 - Welcome to the forum.

When you right click the a-icon you should get a pop up giving you several options.  Clicking the one that says "Start avast! Antivirus" will start a memory test followed by the user interface.

(If you don't get these things then its entirely possible there are remants of Norton AV still on your computer.  Norton is notorious for interfering with other av software.  If this is the case there is a removal tool, SymNRT, you can download here

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

Obviously you will not want to follow the directions to reinstall the Norton products - just use the tool (if needed) followed by a manual hard drive search for any Norton or Symantec files which you can delete.)

One you do have the avast! interface you should

> Select an area to scan (clicking where highlighted below scans your local drives)
> Set the sensitivity (your first scan after installation should be thorough with archives.  This depth will take a long time and is not necessary for every scan)
> Press the start button

Since you seem particularly concerned about trojans you can supplement the avast! scan with AVG Antispyware.  There is a free version you can download here

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/20/lng/us/tpl/v5

Many of us use this combination along with several other security programs, but this should be a good start.

If you have a particular problem you're trying to solve please post details so we can give more specific help, or ask general questions if you're just trying to gain familiarity with the program.

Beta

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 07:18:25 AM »
I had Norton Antivirus on my computer but uninstalled it.

You may need to make sure that Norton is totally removed from your system.  For, in order to avoid conflicts, we shouldn't have any two resident virus scanners on our computers.  The link below leads to Norton Removal Tool.  Please follow the instruction there and remove Norton completely.

After that, check if Avast is working.  If it is still not responding to clicking, you may need to reinstall it.

Aria1206

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 08:47:09 PM »

When you right click the a-icon you should get a pop up giving you several options.  Clicking the one that says "Start avast! Antivirus" will start a memory test followed by the user interface.

(If you don't get these things then its entirely possible there are remants of Norton AV still on your computer.  Norton is notorious for interfering with other av software.  If this is the case there is a removal tool, SymNRT, you can download here

Obviously you will not want to follow the directions to reinstall the Norton products - just use the tool (if needed) followed by a manual hard drive search for any Norton or Symantec files which you can delete.)

> Select an area to scan (clicking where highlighted below scans your local drives)
> Set the sensitivity (your first scan after installation should be thorough with archives.  This depth will take a long time and is not necessary for every scan)
> Press the start button

Since you seem particularly concerned about trojans you can supplement the avast! scan with AVG Antispyware.  There is a free version you can download here

Many of us use this combination along with several other security programs, but this should be a good start.

If you have a particular problem you're trying to solve please post details so we can give more specific help, or ask general questions if you're just trying to gain familiarity with the program.

I used the Norton url you posted (thanks).  I rebooted and then right clicked to get to "Start Avast".  Nothing happened when I clicked to "Start Avast".  When I try to log off I get a message that says something about "Skin...." and I keep clicking on "end now".  My Avast does not look like a radio dial (neat!).  I would like to have that look, but I cannot find User Interface, but I am not using the Professional Edition.  Would you recommend I uninstall/reinstall? 

Thanks for the url for Trojan horses.

Aria   :-[

I have uninstalled and am preparing to reinstall.  I don't know exactly what I'm doing but will keep on trying.

Thanks.....
Aria
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 09:17:32 PM by Aria1206 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 08:59:15 PM »
That is one of the default skins.

What happens you run C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashSimpl.exe this is the simple user interface, that you start on-demand scans. You may well get an error message make a not of it for your post.

If you do get an error with ashSimpl.exe try this C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashSimp2.exe this is the skin less interface.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Aria1206

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 10:36:43 PM »

> Press the start button

I used the Norton url you posted (thanks).  I rebooted and then right clicked to get to "Start Avast".  Nothing happened when I clicked to "Start Avast".  When I try to log off I get a message that says something about "Skin...." and I keep clicking on "end now".  My Avast does not look like a radio dial (neat!).  I would like to have that look, but I cannot find User Interface, but I am not using the Professional Edition.  Would you recommend I uninstall/reinstall? 

Thanks for the url for Trojan horses.

Aria   :-[

I have uninstalled and am preparing to reinstall.  I don't know exactly what I'm doing but will keep on trying.

Thanks.....
Aria

I have just reinstalled, clicked on the blue ball and cannot find System Interface or how to run a scan or whether I'm supposed to reregister.  I am sorry to be such a bother, but I am determined to somehow learn this program.  My daughter uses the Pro version at work and loves it.  I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Aria
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 10:38:24 PM by Aria1206 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 12:10:06 AM »
If there is a system problem then a reinstall is unlikely to change anything.

Did you try what I suggested running the file/s directly and report any errors ?

Try not to use the quote function in its entirety edit out what isn't being commented on and have your comment outside the quote. With so much text and images what you are saying gets buried amongst what has been said and is no longer applicable. In this case the only information required is the purple text everything else has been covered.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Aria1206

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 04:27:27 AM »

If there is a system problem then a reinstall is unlikely to change anything.

Did you try what I suggested running the file/s directly and report any errors ?

The reinstall gave me "Resident Protection" when I double click on the a blue ball.  I did not have that before.

When I ran the files (you did not say WHERE to run them) in my "Search" box all I got was a list of places that had spyware and other types of software. The command looked like DOS to me but I was not informed if I should run the command from DOS.  Also  I did not know what I should be searching for.

I do not know how to find "System Interface" or how to make the program look like the front of a radio.  I don't know how to run a scan either.

Thank you for responding.
Aria
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 04:33:06 AM by Aria1206 »

mauserme

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 04:55:51 AM »
I'm unclear, Aria, when you try to open the program do you get something, but it doesn't look like the interface I posted?  Or do you get only errors and no interface?  In this case what do the errors say?

Also, when you hover your mouse pointer over the a-icon without clicking what wording appears?

When I ran the files (you did not say WHERE to run them) in my "Search" box all I got was a list of places that had spyware and other types of software. The command looked like DOS to me but I was not informed if I should run the command from DOS. Also  I did not know what I should be searching for.
click the Start button at the bottom left on your screen
click My Computer
double click the drive where your programs are installed (usually C:)
double click Program Files
double Click Alwil Software
double click Avast4
double click ashSimpl.exe

In theory this should open the user interface, but what spyware are you referring to?

Aria1206

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 07:52:10 AM »
quote]
click the Start button at the bottom left on your screen
click My Computer
double click the drive where your programs are installed (usually C:)
double click Program Files
double Click Alwil Software
double click Avast4
double click ashSimpl.exe

In theory this should open the user interface, but what spyware are you referring to?

I did this and IT WORKED!  I made a shortcut and put it on my desktop.  My "Interface" which I assume is called "Resident Protection" is what appears when I double click on the a blue ball.  It does not look like the front of a radio like yours does.  How can I make mine look like yours.  And THANK YOU for walking me through so I could find the scanning program!

Now if you would be so kind as to walk me through how to change how "Resident Protection" (?) looks.

Thank you so very much for all your help. 

Aria   :)

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 09:16:31 AM »
quote]
My "Interface" which I assume is called "Resident Protection" is what appears when I double click on the a blue ball. It does not look like the front of a radio like yours does. How can I make mine look like yours. And THANK YOU for walking me through so I could find the scanning program!

Now if you would be so kind as to walk me through how to change how "Resident Protection" (?) looks.

Thank you so very much for all your help.

Aria :)

Ok, please RIGHT click on the 'a" icon. You should get a pop up menu, select start avast antivirus. You should get the interface pictured above.

Double left clicking the icon (or even single left click) will bring up the resident scan interface. You are looking for the simple user interface.   ;D
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 10:07:40 AM by oldman »

mauserme

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 01:13:01 PM »
Ok, please RIGHT click on the 'a" icon.
As oldman says, you need to right click the a-icon.

There are two (maybe even three) buttons on your mouse.  When we say "click" on something we mean press the left button once.  When we say "double click" we mean press the left button twice, quickly.  But when we say "right click" we mean a single click of the right mouse button.  Sorry if this is too basic - just want to make sure we're all doing the same thing  :)

If, when you right click the a-icon you get options that include  On-Access Protection Control and Start avast! Antivirus then we're on the right track for both of your questions.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 01:16:36 PM by mauserme »

Aria1206

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 04:44:49 PM »
I know the difference between right click and left click.  When I right click on the a ball I get a menu which includes many things.  When I click on "Start avast! antivirus nothing happens.  When I left click on the a ball I get "avast! On Access Scanner".  I have to click a blue ball with an "S" on it which is on my desktop to run a scan.  That is the avast! Simple User Interface".  It does not look like a radio.  I found it as previously described in an earlier post.  It has the numbers 1-4 down the left side and places to check where one wishes to scan; short, standard and thorough scan. 

If this is all I need, then I the interface will never look like a radio.  I am not using the Pro version I am using the free home version.

If there is more I need to do please let me know.  Thank you all for helping me get this far.

With gratitude,
Aria