Author Topic: Totally Lost!!!!  (Read 24200 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Totally Lost!!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2007, 05:10:09 PM »
What you are seeing is the No Skin Simple User Interface, which you have to have selected or you are using the wrong file name in your shortcut ashSimp2.exe is the skinless and ashSimpl.exe is the skinned version of the SUI.

The fact that the options on the right click menu don't appear to work, there is something wrong with your installation.

Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You need to be on-line to do this.
If that doesn't work (right click selections don't work) try, uninstall, reboot, install, reboot.
It would probably be best to download the latest version of avast and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Aria1206

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2007, 02:34:13 AM »
The skinless SUI works fine for me.  However when I try to open the command without the 2 in it, it doesn't work.

I did the repair online but there are no noticeable changes to my eyes. 

The installation of this program has done something to my computer and I cannot explain what it is. I forgot to mention that I use Zone Alarm - not Windows Firewall.  I am unable to uninstall ZA. 

Since I am a simple person - disabled senior citizen - I will attempt to keep this program up and running.  If it doesn't work I don't know what I will do.  I have uninstalled/downloaded Avast four times and don't intend to to it again.  When I ran the scan it took one hour and 25 minutes.  My computer is a Dell with an 80GB hard drive; 5 hundred something DRAM; no sound card and no speakers (my decision).  I am a writer so I need the internet for research purposes and AOL gives me a deep discount. 

Thanks to all for helping me.  If anyone has something to add I would be grateful.

Aria   :(

mauserme

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2007, 05:18:01 AM »
The installation of this program has done something to my computer and I cannot explain what it is. I forgot to mention that I use Zone Alarm - not Windows Firewall.  I am unable to uninstall ZA. 
Its frustrating for us too, Aria.  We want it to work as much as you do  :)

Can you try to describe what's different about your computer now?  It doesn't need to be technical. 

Are you using Zone Alarm Free or Pro?  There is an issue with Zone Alarm's Privacy Shield and avast!, but that's only in the Pro version.

Aria1206

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2007, 06:47:09 AM »
I don't know how to explain what the difference is in my computer.  It seems to be sluggish; slower in opening any files from Desktop but not online.  It is a very nebulous thing and since my computer terminology is very weak that's the best way I can describe it.  I dread the fact that I might have to eventually do a master restore (is that the correct term?).  This computer is only a year old and I simply cannot afford to purchase a newer one and try to learn Vista (egad!).

As for Zone Alarm, I use the free version. 

I would really like my SUI to look like the front of a radio, but I simply do not know how to do it, much less where to search for instructions or even how to follow them if I found them.  That is pathetic, but it is what it is.

Thank you so much for your caring response. 

Aria   ???

mauserme

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2007, 01:22:34 PM »
It seems to be sluggish; slower in opening any files from Desktop but not online.
If you compare the computer performance without an antivirus to the performance with one, it will always be slower to some degree with the av installed.  Almost all the files you open are being checked for malware and this will use some memory and processor power.  Compared to Norton, however, avast! is much easier on resources.

You could check to see if your protection is set higher than you need.  If you right click the a-icon and click On- Access Protection Control you should get a window that looks like this

If there's a button at the bottom that says "Details >>" click that to get more detail, then highlight "Standard Shield" in the left hand column.  Normal sensitivity is usually sufficient for most users.

I would really like my SUI to look like the front of a radio ...
Close the settings window and click the a-icon again.  Then click Program Settings.  Make sure Enable Skins for Simple User Interface is checked.  If its not, put a check in the box

Does any of that help?

EDIT When you have a chance would you look at this thread

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=26490.0

and see if you're getting similar errors (in your native language, of course).
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 01:38:23 PM by mauserme »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2007, 02:51:12 PM »
The skinless SUI works fine for me.  However when I try to open the command without the 2 in it, it doesn't work.

What errors are you getting, can you explain 'it doesn't work' whay do you do and what happened.

Some systems simply can't use the third party skinning tools that are used for the avast skins and they have to use the non-skinned interface, that in itself shouldn't affect your protection. However I'm concerned as I have mentioned that when you click the option to Start avast antivirus, nothing at all happens, no errors and no action. For that reason I suggested a reinstall in my last post, I feel you are at that point now.

Quote from: DavidR
Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You need to be on-line to do this.
If that doesn't work (right click selections don't work) try, uninstall, reboot, install, reboot.
It would probably be best to download the latest version of avast and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Aria1206

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2007, 01:02:33 AM »
I have reset the settings to "Normal" and have realized a faster response to loading things.  Thank you for that information.

I already had installed/uninstalled/rebooted four times.  If that isn't going to make the "right click" on the a ball work I am not concerned about it unless it is a MAJOR portion of the program.  I am able to scan for viruses; the program updates itself on a regular basis; I check for updates as well on a regular basis and I am content with not having it look like a radio. 

I am still getting a message while trying to log off my computer which says "Active Skin Window Helper" or something like that.  I just click "end now" and log off.  There are no other problems that I can detect.

If you two have any other suggestions I am open to reading them.  Oh, I don't get the error message in English like the Oriental one referred to by Mauserme.  Isn't a "mauser" a WW2 German large gun?  Just curious.  Seem to recall that as I was very much around during WW2.

Thanks again to mauserme and DavidR.  Your patience is certainly a virtue and much appreciated.

Aria

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2007, 01:26:20 AM »
Not being able to use the right click options from the avast icon (do any of them work ?) shouldn't reduce the protection but it most certainly hampers your use and ability to easily configure the various options on the right click menu.

With the error relating to active skin window helper, I believe it is still trying to open the skinning interface.

In mauserme's image Settings, Common, uncheck (disable) any reference to Skins, if the skinning interface isn't trying to run perhaps you won't get that error on closing and perhaps you might even get the Start avast Antivirus to open the Simple User Interface but in the skinless option.

Try that and let us know how you get on.

mauserme

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2007, 02:41:42 AM »
I am able to scan for viruses; the program updates itself on a regular basis; I check for updates as well on a regular basis and I am content with not having it look like a radio. 
Then you really do have the major program functions.  Since the default installation options are good for most users the lack of some configuration options might not be an issue for you.  Seems like you're ready to be done with this, anyway  8)

I would, however, take DavidR's suggestion about un-checking the skin option as this may very well solve the errors you get when you shut down Windows.  If it does solve the problem and you're content with the skinless interface then just leave it that way.

Isn't a "mauser" a WW2 German large gun? Just curious. Seem to recall that as I was very much around during WW2.
Without getting too far off topic, Mauser made a variety of items before and during WWII but I don't know if artillery pieces were among them.  I have a high regard for the efforts of the Allied Forces during the war, my father being one of them, and my interest in some of the smaller things produced by Mauser and a few other manufacturers is my way of keeping the memory of their sacrifice alive.

PMs (personal messages) have been disabled on the forum but if we ever get them back I would be very much interested in knowing your experiences if you are willing to share them.

Aria1206

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2007, 04:52:17 AM »
I did uncheck what was suggested.  By the way, just what is supposed to happen when "Start !avast Antivirus" is clicked? 

Thanks to both of you for your help.  It's great to know there are still gentlemen in this world!

Wish PMs would be allowed.  Is there a way to email? 

A bientôt mes amis!

Aria
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 05:06:59 AM by Aria1206 »

mauserme

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2007, 05:43:32 AM »
I did uncheck what was suggested. By the way, just what is supposed to happen when "Start !avast Antivirus" is clicked?
When you right click the a-icon you should get a pop up giving you several options.  Clicking the one that says "Start avast! Antivirus" will start a memory test followed by the user interface.
Is that what your asking? ???  Well, let us know if unchecking that option resolved the "error on exit" problems.

Its possbile we may have PMs again in the future so stick around.  There's a lot to learn here, too.  With email, short of publicly posting your address (not a good idea) I don't know how we could arrange it. 

a tout à l'heure

Aria1206

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2007, 06:22:54 AM »

When you right click the a-icon you should get a pop up giving you several options.  Clicking the one that says "Start avast! Antivirus" will start a memory test followed by the user interface.
Is that what your asking? ???  Well, let us know if unchecking that option resolved the "error on exit" problems.

Its possbile we may have PMs again in the future so stick around.  There's a lot to learn here, too.  With email, short of publicly posting your address (not a good idea) I don't know how we could arrange it. 

a tout à l'heure

The unchecking did not make the "error on exit" go away.  As for the "Start !avast Antivirus" issue, I tried it several times and nothing happens.  I can get the SUI only by holding the cursor over the "s" ball on my desktop and clicking "Open".  If that works, what will be the problem if there is no memory test?  Perhaps I need one! C'est ça! 

Thank you. I can't get the hang of quoting on this forum.  Someone should write a book for "Being Dumb for Dummies"!

Aria......Je suis une chanteuse de classique (among other things!)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2007, 02:42:18 PM »
I did uncheck what was suggested.  By the way, just what is supposed to happen when "Start !avast Antivirus" is clicked? 
Aria

It should first open a window ans starts to check memory for programs that might be infected and running in memory. On successful completion of the memory check the Simplie User Interface is opened, Skinned (like the radio image) or Un-skinned (the one you are having to use) depending on your program settings.

I think that the problem of it not making any change on the error at exit may have to do with you trying to use the Start avast antivirus, although nothing appears to happen, behind the scenes the skinning interface may be trying to start and failing. So the same condition exists on exit.

Using a Quote:
Select and Copy the text you want to quote and click the quote icon, that will place two quote tags {quote}{/quote} position the mouse pointer between the two tags between the ] and [ then paste the text you want to quote.
(the quotes are in square brackets my example changes them so the tag doesn't work)

mauserme

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2007, 02:08:53 PM »
... what will be the problem if there is no memory test?
Wish I had thought of that.  It could be problematic.

If you're not completely bored with this would you try opening the program from the start menu

click start at the lower left of your screen
hover the mouse pointer on All Programs and slide up to avast! Antivirus.
then slide over to avast! Antivirus and click it

Is this more successful?

Aria......Je suis une chanteuse de classique (among other things!)
Je comprends. 

But my French is so weak maybe I should stick with "Ima Singa".

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2007, 02:36:55 PM »
... what will be the problem if there is no memory test?

The memory scan is useful in that if a virus is already in memory it may hide something that your scan might other wise find.

Basically it ensures a clean memory start state before the scan, if a virus is found in memory avast offers the option of scheduling a boot-time scan (XP, winNT, win2k only), that option wouldn't be available if you didn't scan memory and it was infected. So avast recognises that if your memory is infected it is best to abort the scan and do a boot-time scan or at least offer it assuming your OS supports it.