Author Topic: Totally Lost!!!!  (Read 24196 times)

Aria1206

Re: Totally Lost!!!!
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2007, 04:45:52 PM »
From mauserme:
If you're not completely bored with this would you try opening the program from the start menu

click start at the lower left of your screen
hover the mouse pointer on All Programs and slide up to avast! Antivirus.
then slide over to avast! Antivirus and click it

Is this more successful?

I just tried this without any success.  I can use any of the other options on the a ball, just not the Start !avast Antivirus.  And since the unchecking of enabling skins and such, I no longer get error messages and my computer is running smoothly.

I have not used my French in 40 years.  Until that time it was what I spoke with many friends in University, but alas that time is ended.  It is so rusty it makes me sad.

I have been busy fighting Turbo Tax (a lot more complicated this year).  Much sadness there as well.

To DavidR:

Thank you for your instruction.  However I am in the forest with the terminology and how to do it.  I do not understand why everything else is working smoothly and the start antivirus is not.  I will keep working on it.

Aria   :(

Spiritsongs

"Turbo" Tax problem(s)
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2007, 09:36:21 PM »
 :)  Hi Aria :

"Busy fighting Turbo Tax" caught my attention; I had been a Licensed Tax Preparer for many
     years until I decided a couple of yrs ago NOT to renew my license, even though I continue to
     prepare Returns "unofficially" for several of my long-time "clients". For several yrs I volunteered
     throught AARP; finally got disgusted with Seniors coming in for FREE Preparation with cash
     Assets around $500,000 . Felt they were well able to afford a $35 Prepararation Fee.
     You being a disabled Senior, does your non-Social Security Income exceed $9600 ? If not, there
     is no requirement to "file" ; I never found anyone eligible for Schedule R. If you are interested
     in continuing this, start a "thread" in our "General" Forum and I will try my best to assist you .

mauserme

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2007, 03:57:01 PM »
I just tried this without any success.  I can use any of the other options on the a ball, just not the Start !avast Antivirus.  And since the unchecking of enabling skins and such, I no longer get error messages and my computer is running smoothly.
It's good the errors are gone but this is really bothering me about the memory scan.  I just don't have an answer for this.  :(

Tech is on vacation right now but maybe when he gets back at the end of the month he'll think of something.  I'll give this topic a bump when I see him on the forum again.  Unless David has any other ideas of course...

I have been busy fighting Turbo Tax (a lot more complicated this year).  Much sadness there as well.
Me too.  Whatever happened to the flat tax idea?

[QU0TE]However I am in the forest with the terminology and how to do it. [/QU0TE]
A quote should look like above when you're finished typing.  Open the quote by enclosing the word "quote" in square brackets.  Close the quote by enclosing "/quote" in square brackets.  Think of them as open and close quotation marks - just make sure you include the "/" in the close-quote marker.

If, instead, you click the quote button on something that's been posted the entire post will be put within those markers for you.  Then you can edit out the parts that aren't needed.  This is how to quote someone including information about the person/date/time when the original comment was posted.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 04:10:18 PM by mauserme »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2007, 04:14:03 PM »
There is a way of running a memory scan like a command line option but I can't remember it or find it in my 'fallible filing system.'

But I found it in a forum search, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=7436.msg59145#msg59145.

"C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe" "*MEMORY"
The *MEMORY parameter causes avast! to scan the operating memory of the computer: the true virtual memory.

Just copy and paste the above command line including the quotes (change the path if you installed avast to a different folder) into the Windows Start, Run window and click OK, that will run a scan of the memory. I just confirmed it, see image.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Aria1206

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2007, 04:48:40 PM »
There is a way of running a memory scan like a command line option but I can't remember it or find it in my 'fallible filing system.'

But I found it in a forum search, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=7436.msg59145#msg59145.

"C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe" "*MEMORY"
The *MEMORY parameter causes avast! to scan the operating memory of the computer: the true virtual memory.

Just copy and paste the above command line including the quotes (change the path if you installed avast to a different folder) into the Windows Start, Run window and click OK, that will run a scan of the memory. I just confirmed it, see image.

I DID IT AND IT WORKED!!  Now what???  How can I get it into the program itself so I don't have to type it into the run line each time?  Not that there's anything wrong with that!!!

Thanks so much, DavidR!  You are as persistent as I am (in other ways).  Your help is celebrated and greatly appreciated.

Aria   ;)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2007, 05:15:16 PM »
You can't get it into avast, this is a workaround that you would need to run before running your on-demand scan.

You could create a batch file using a text editor, like notepad and paste the command line into it, then save it as MemoryScan.bat (save it in the C:\  folder). When you are saving the file, Notepad will show a file type of .txt in the Save As type: from the drop down list select All Files option.

You can go a step further and create a shortcut on your desktop for the batch file, double clicking on that will launce the batch file. You will notice a command window opens, this is required to run the command outside of the Windows, Start, Run window.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Aria1206

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2007, 01:49:37 AM »
You can't get it into avast, this is a workaround that you would need to run before running your on-demand scan.

You could create a batch file using a text editor, like notepad and paste the command line into it, then save it as MemoryScan.bat (save it in the C:\  folder). When you are saving the file, Notepad will show a file type of .txt in the Save As type: from the drop down list select All Files option.

You can go a step further and create a shortcut on your desktop for the batch file, double clicking on that will launce the batch file. You will notice a command window opens, this is required to run the command outside of the Windows, Start, Run window.

I did create the batch file with Notepad and pasted the command line into it with the proper name and used "All Filees".  I saved it in the C:/ folder and then made a shortcut to my desktop.  It will not run from the shortcut but I can open the shortcut and copy/paste the command line into "Run" and it will work.  I printed out your instructions (as I do all of everyones') and keep them.  I don't know what I missed that won't allow me to run it from the shortcut?  Any ideas?

Thanks so much for your help.  I know nothing about batch files or what Notepad does so if there is something I missed I would appreciate your walking me through this step by step.  I am a fairly fast learner but not know tech words keeps me in the dark.  Same thing happens when I lose directions trying to use a map.  I need step by step directions with landmarks.  My brain is wired very differently from most people.

Aria   :)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2007, 02:18:18 AM »
Well it should run from the shortcut on the desktop, mine does, look at the image and does the start in = C:\ if not that may be why.

I have uploaded a copy of my batch file memoryscan.bat (just in case you somehow didn't get the notepad creation correct), to be able to upload it I have had to add the .txt at the end of it. Save this in the c:\ folder, rename it and drop the .txt of the end. Create a desktop shortcut ensure the start in is C:\.

Aria1206

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2007, 06:10:24 AM »
Well it should run from the shortcut on the desktop, mine does, look at the image and does the start in = C:\ if not that may be why.

I have uploaded a copy of my batch file memoryscan.bat (just in case you somehow didn't get the notepad creation correct), to be able to upload it I have had to add the .txt at the end of it. Save this in the c:\ folder, rename it and drop the .txt of the end. Create a desktop shortcut ensure the start in is C:\.

I apologize profusely, but I do not understand any of the above.  I did d/l your batch file onto my desktop but have no idea where to go from here.  If you do not wish to bother with this any more, it is fine with me.  I have frustrated people far too much as it is.

Aria

mauserme

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2007, 02:06:38 PM »
I have frustrated people far too much as it is.
Don't worry about that - we're a pretty persistent bunch.

Right click the icon for the batch file, then click properties.  Make sure the "Start In" location is C:\

Oh, btw, you quoted David very nicely ...

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2007, 02:33:20 PM »
The batch file 'memoryscan.bat.txt' you downloaded needs to be in the c:\ folder (where I assume your other file is) not the desktop.

Only the shortcut to execute the batch file should be on the desktop.

When you run a batch file shortcut it is best for the 'Start in' folder in the shortcut properties to point the same folder as that where the batch file is.

So you need to:
1. Copy the batch file to the C:\ folder
2. Rename the batch file memoryscan.bat.txt to memoryscan.bat
3. If you called your batch file the same windows might object, if so call it memoryscan2.bat.
4. Create a desktop short cut, right click the memoryscan2.bat and select 'Send to,' Desktop (create shortcut).
5. Ensure shortcut properties has C:\ as the Start in: location.
You should now be good to go.

As mauserme said 'nice quote'

Aria1206

« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2007, 06:26:52 AM »
I have frustrated people far too much as it is.
Don't worry about that - we're a pretty persistent bunch.

Right click the icon for the batch file, then click properties.  Make sure the "Start In" location is C:\

Oh, btw, you quoted David very nicely ...

Thank you!  I'm still slaving over income tax and so very weary!

Aria
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 04:37:59 PM by Aria1206 »

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2007, 10:06:22 AM »

You should edit your address so it's not active or readable to a harvester bot, or you may end up with some gifts.

for example  dewberry126-at-lycos.com

Glad you are getting avast sorted out, and good luck with your taxes. Me soon  :(

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2007, 02:12:24 PM »
Or better still post it as an image and a harvester can't read it but a human can.

Whilst it is possible to use optical character recognition, that is too time and processor intensive for harvester bots to be considered worthwhile.

qrius2noall

« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2007, 05:53:43 PM »
 :)
As a newbie, it was of immense interest and learning to go through this post.The persistence of ARIA and the helping hand exteded by the EVAGELISTS here is really commendable.

As somebody who may be is even less adapt at computers than ARIA,this whole post worked as a tutorial too.

As a very proud and extremely satisfied user of this wonderful antivirus AVAST,for the last couple of months,I really admire the dedication of you guys.More so ,as a very recent member of this lovely forum,I may not contribute much by way of technical help,but the thing which really makes me feel happy are the nice things written about AVAST in so many different computer forums,which I make it a point to browse as a tool for self learning.I could go on and on but w'd like to end this post by saying.....

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK YOU WONDERFUL PEOPLE!

CHEERS