Author Topic: Help... my ashavast.exe dissapeared !!  (Read 2891 times)

jackpot

Help... my ashavast.exe dissapeared !!
« on: February 08, 2007, 10:46:15 AM »
I use Avast since 3 months and suddenly my avast executable file "ashavast.exe" dissapeared without reason.
I deinstalled Avast with "aswclear.exe" and when I reinstall it the "ashavast.exe"  dissipeard again (my desktop icon can not find the exe file).
It seems that I am not the only one with this problem ...

Jack

++ To scan my Pc, I installed Spybot and I had the same problem, the "spybot.exe" also
dissapeared ???
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 02:38:29 PM by jackpot »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Help... my ashavast.exe dissapeared !!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 03:29:58 PM »
You almost certainly have a problem, one which as you say has been in the forums and can effect many AVs.

If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it, preferably in safe mode.
1. Ewido, a.k.a. avg anti-spyware If using winXP. or a-Squared free if using win98/ME.

This may have a rootkit element to it so it can't be seen.
- BackLight - It can detect rootkits like Rootkit Revealer but can also remove them. http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight/
- Panda Rootkit Cleaner - http://research.pandasoftware.com/blogs/research/archive/2006/12/14/Rootkit-cleaner.aspx

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jackpot

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 03:58:44 PM »
Thanks for the answer...
For the moment I am scanning my pc with BitDefender.
But I 'll try your solution as soon.

Jack

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 04:51:53 PM »
This has been shown to be a beagle variant that comprises a rootkit element to hide it from AVs, if this is the one you mention others having a problem like this.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jackpot

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 06:17:20 PM »
The "Blacklight run" has detected some rootkit files ....like
hldrrr.exe
hidr.exe
m.hook.sys

Do you think that it can be the cause of my problem and that I can rename this file without problems and restart ??

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 07:36:02 PM »
Almost certainly, the names ring a bell, a search for these files in the forums will confirm this.

If you can send the samples to avast great.
Send the sample to virus@avast.com zipped and password protected with password in email body and false positive/undetected malware in the subject. Or you can also add the file to the User Files (File, Add) section of the avast chest and send it from there (right click, email to Alwil Software). No need to zip and PW protect when the sample is sent from chest.

Yes you can rename them hldrrr.exe.vir, etc. which is also a method used by avast so it retains the original file name which could help with analysis. However If you know their location try to add them to the user files section of the chest where that can do no harm.

If you can't send a sample to avast, that's too bad, the priority is cleaning your system.