Author Topic: Avast Resident Protection  (Read 6308 times)

PEAT

Avast Resident Protection
« on: February 10, 2007, 12:23:16 PM »
How do I know if my Avast 4 Resident Protection is running. There is no Icon shown at the bottom right of the screen (there used to be). If I open Windows Task Manager I cannot see any sign. If it is not running, how do I get it to run?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Avast Resident Protection
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 12:56:39 PM »
What operating system do you use?

The resident protection of avast! is included in the following processes:
ashServ.exe - the main part
ashDisp.exe - the user interface part (icon in the tray, etc.)
ashWebSv.exe - WebShield
ashMaiSv.exe - mail scanner

PEAT

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 01:09:42 PM »
I.m using XP SP2
Task manager shows the following
ashWebsv.exe
ashmailsv.exe
ashserv.exe

Does this mean that Resident Shield is running but simply that the icon has disappeared if so any idea how to get it back?

Thanks for the assistance.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 01:15:42 PM »
Normally, it's started from
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
There should be a string value, normally called avast!, containing the path to ashDisp.exe in avast! installation folder.

PEAT

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 01:28:04 PM »
The path oes not appear to be there in  the registry  and since I am now reassured that the antivirus is actually running OK I think I'll leave well enough alone, I'm not confident enough to fiddle with the registry.
Thanks again.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 02:16:57 PM »
This appears to be a deletion by another security based program.

As a temporary measure until this is resolved you can create a desktop shortcut for this file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe (the avast icon and interface to the providers).  Right click on the file and select Send To, Desktop (create shortcut).

What other security based software do you have that might block new startup entries, e.g. Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), AdAware (AdWatch), SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor (StartUpGuard), PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc. ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

PEAT

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 06:06:28 PM »
I did as you suggested and by activating the shortcut on my desktop the icons were then displayed at the bottom right of the screen.
Whilst I've been at this I had an auto-update option from Avast which I accepted and downloaded and rebooted. On reboot he Icons for resident scanner  did not appear, and I had a message from Mr Avast saying that I would shortly be no longer eligible for upgrades.
I reckon this can only be a major conspiracy!
Joking aside, my security programs are Adaware, Crapcleaner, Spybot, Zonealarm  Spywareblaster and of course XP's inbuilt stuff

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 06:15:05 PM »
The shortcut is a workaround and not a solution, you need to activate that every boot.

Complete the avast! 4 Home Registration form and you will receive an email from register @ avast.com (without the spaces) with your registration key.

Do you use the Spybot TeaTimer as this can kill the ashDisp.exe start-up entry, the same it true if you have the paid for version of AdAware and use its AdWatch. If you have either of these disable the active protection.

Both of these should really have notified you about ashDisp.exe and asked for an action, allow or block, etc. They should hopefully have a means to restore the action taken, check and see if you can reverse it. If not, try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You need to be on-line to do this.
If that doesn't work try, uninstall, reboot, install, reboot.

It would probably be best to download the latest version of avast and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

PEAT

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 08:40:36 AM »
I uninstalled avast then re-installed the latest version. During the setup process I was warned of a potential conflict with Zonealarm which Avast and Zonelabs are working to resolve.
All is now well, thanks for the assistance.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 11:16:21 AM »
There is no conflict between avast and ZA free. 

The warning still comes up for those folks who had avast and ZA installed back in the days when the conflict with ZA Pro first arose.  For those performing a new installation of avast (for the first time) and who have ZA free installed the warning is not presented any longer.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 03:07:14 PM »
I uninstalled avast then re-installed the latest version. During the setup process I was warned of a potential conflict with Zonealarm which Avast and Zonelabs are working to resolve.
All is now well, thanks for the assistance.

As Alan said there is no conflict with ZA Free, what version do you have, ZA free or ZA Pro ?
What did you answer to the Zone Alarm compatibility question Yes or No ?
It should be No if you are using ZA free.