Author Topic: Windows XP x64 on Athlon continually rebooting.  (Read 5581 times)

jdog

Windows XP x64 on Athlon continually rebooting.
« on: February 11, 2007, 08:21:07 PM »
Guys-

I'm hosed.  I was registering the AVAST home version and my system locked up during a virus scan.  Had to reboot, and no matter what I choose to come up in (SAFE mode, last good, etc.) my computer will show the initial XP running screen and then reboot.  Here is the text I was planning to send to AVAST, hopefully, someone here might know how to turn my computer into a computer instead of a papeweight.  Thanks.

jdog

What operating system are you using? Microsoft Windows XP x64 Edition SP2
What version of avast! are you using? Was trying to use latest 4.7 home version.
What version of VPS file are you using?  Cannot boot system to find out. 
What is your basic hardware configuration? AMD 2.1 GHz, Dual Core Athlon, 4 GB memory
How do you connect to Internet? Cable Modem (Time Warner)
What is your e-mail client? Outlook Express
Do you use other security software? None
What are the steps to reproduce the bug again?

I had just entered the registration Key, had updated the virus list,
and was running a scan of my hard drives.  When I returned to my system
later, the save screen was up and the system was hung.  I rebooted, and
now XP is booting in a continuous loop.  No matter if I try to go to
Safe mode or last good configuration, it will still continually loop, like
the reset button is being pressed.

Do any error messages appear? NO.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Windows XP x64 on Athlon continually rebooting.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 12:38:47 PM »
avast! drivers are not loaded in safe mode... so it could hardly affect the system in that case.
Could it be some hardware problem maybe? (malfunctioning hard disk, bad cooler... something like that?)

jdog

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 02:40:45 PM »
I'm hoping that's not the case, because the system is less than 6 months old.  Unless anyone knows how I can boot, since Safe mode fails, I may have to take the system to the Geek Squad.  <Shudder.>

jdog

jdog

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 08:42:41 PM »
I was able to get into main setup to have the system not reboot on error.  Then I saw the BSOD with the following error:

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

and the code:

STOP: 0x000000ED (0xFFFFFADFAF0E68C0, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000006,
0x0000000000000000, 0x00000000000000000)

If anyone can clue me in, it would be appreciated.  Nothing was done to the hardware, only the AVAST was being registered and run.  Right now, I'm attempting to do a chkdsk /r in the recovery.

jdog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 09:40:56 PM »
A google search for your BSOD stop: 0x000000ED returns many hits, http://www.google.com/search?q=STOP%3A+0x000000ED, the first from MS support seems relevant. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297185
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jdog

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 02:38:39 AM »
Guys-

I'm thinking I might have a virus, and will probably end up reinstalling the OS.  I do have a stupid question.  I use Outlook Express for my mail, but since I did a chkdsk /r I can boot in safe mode.  I can't do a search, but am looking for where my e-mail messages are stored.  I'm looking, but am probably overlooking them.

Also, after being able to boot in safe mode, when I try regular or last known good config, The system will try and boot up, but the screen will just go black, ie. the signal is cut to the monitor.

Thanks for any help.

jdog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 03:13:44 AM »
They are usually in the c:\ docs and settings\your user name\local settings\application data\ and are .dbx files. I have moved my default location ages ago. You should be able to find it for sure OE, Tools, Options, Maintenance, Store Folder button, click that and it will show the current location. That is were I changed the default.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jdog

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 03:40:35 PM »
DavidR-

Thanks for the reply.  I was wondering if you used the 32 or 64 bit version of XP.  I will need an AV before I reconnect it to the internet, and an not sure if the AVAST home addition will work for x64.

jdog

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 04:34:49 PM »
I use 32bit XP Pro, but avast works with 64bit XP, http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html.

jdog

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 01:28:21 AM »
David-

I'm in safe mode, and went into OE and can read the messages, but when I go to the directory where they are supposed to be, it says "directory empty"  Now that is really baking my noodle.  Any ideas.

j

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 01:54:56 AM »
I have never come across this where you can view email but can't see the email database files.

In safe mode are you not able to do a search of your c:\ drive for *.dbx files.

jdog

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 02:26:05 AM »
I'm afraid so.  The directory where they are supposed to be is empty, yet the OE program can find the doggone things.  I'm thinking that I won't recover them.  I couldn't even copy files in this weird mode.

sigh
j

pkpkd

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2007, 07:23:55 AM »
Hi,
     I had a similar crash when Windows XP could not log me on after I had run a virus update Sat. Feb 10, 2007. I got STOP error 0xC000021A and then others on subsequent attempts.
          After using Recovery Console to Chkdsk /r the drive, I got into safe mode.
          After un-installing Avast I ran Chkdsk to fix errors again in safe mode(but checking bad blocks is probably not necessary at this point).
          Then I restarted with the Last Known Good Configuration.
          I got my User Profile back and everything appears A-OK for the past couple of days.
Chkdsk and restarting with the Last Known Good Configuration did not solve the problem until I un-installed   Avast.
There is no evidence of physical hard disk damage though there were some NTFS errors and incorrect index references that Chkdsk repaired. All my files seem to be intact now.
     I suspect I/O errors blocked Windows XP from correctly or completely writing to and reading from the HD and when these error messages appeared it looked like the disk might be damaged or failing, but it is really Avast interfering with disk access.

The question is: does Avast sometimes interfere with NTFS file security and permissions especially on machines with multiple user profiles with different levels of permissions?

I am afraid that I am through with Avast.

I don't  know if it conflicts with Spybot Search and Destroy, or Ad-Aware, or a disabled and non-resident Bit-Defender free version used only to double check.
But I have never had this level of instability from any other program! And I don't want to take the risk anymore.

Good luck!-pkpkd

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2007, 08:59:12 AM »
 The question is: does Avast sometimes interfere with NTFS file security and permissions especially on machines with multiple user profiles with different levels of permissions?

No, it doesn't.

jdog

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2007, 05:55:58 PM »
Thanks for the idea, pkpkd.  I'll look at that tonight before I wipe the drive.  I ran a Symmantec Fixblast to look for worms, but nothing showed up.  Will give this a look tonight.  Thanks.

j