Author Topic: Windows XP Security Suddenly Not Registering Avast  (Read 7146 times)

lindawing

Windows XP Security Suddenly Not Registering Avast
« on: February 12, 2007, 08:03:23 PM »
I've been using Avast with Windows XP for years. At one time, a long time ago, the XP security control panel didn't recognize Avast, but that was rectified ages ago. I'm running two computers. This morning my husband's computer's security control panel registers Avast just fine.

Mine, however, came up with a notice sometime late last night (preventing my SpySweeper from completing its normal 3:00 AM sweep), to say that I have no recognizable virus control! It was fine when I went to bed, and I've verified that it is, indeed, working.

I had to set the security control panel to NOT monitor my virus protection.

Why would that have happened, when both computers are running XP and continuously updated copies of Avast?

Linda
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 07:09:12 AM by lindawing »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Windows XP Security Suddenly Not Registering Avast
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 09:35:18 PM »
The WSC is pretty flaky at times having problems with its wbem repository becoming corrupt.

Windows Security Center not recognising avast!
Frequently asked questions about Windows Security Center

Check this - Solution when Windows Security Center does not recognize antivirus or firewall
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

lindawing

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 07:20:48 AM »
DavidR--

Thanks! I checked out the link you gave, and only had to do the first step. I stopped the Security Center service, waited a few seconds, then started it again, and voila! Now Avast! is being recognized again. :-)

Linda

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 02:37:01 PM »
No problem, glad I could help. For most the first step is enough, fo some they have to go further.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

lindawing

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 05:55:52 PM »
Thanks! I was happy to find the forums...didn't realize they existed. :-) I love Avast! and recommend it to everyone--further than that, I fix computers for a dozen or so locals (older people and small non-profits), and I always put Avast! on their computers. Even when I have to use the paid version, I always tell the people it's one of the few programs I highly recommend, and that they should just DO it. :-)

Linda

Spiritsongs

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 06:13:44 PM »
 :)  Hi Fellow Believer in the Triune God :

Nowadays "viruses" are a MINOR threat compared to "trojans, worms, keyloggers, rootkits, etc"
      so a "layered" approach is best . Definitely should use some Good & FREE antiSPYWARE/
      antiTROJAN programs, such as AVG Antispyware ( formerly called "Ewido" ) from
      www.ewido.net and the FREE ver of "SUPERantispyware" from www.superantispyware.com .

And hopefully you are using Good, and sometimes FREE, 3rd party software firewalls !?

A good Resource "Guide" is the info at :
      http://rcip.com/mitch/NewbieOldieUpdated.html .
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 07:16:21 PM by Spiritsongs »

lindawing

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 09:12:39 AM »
Hi back, Spiritsongs. :-)

I use and recommend SpySweeper for some of the best real-time protection from ad/spyware, but I also keep SpyBot S&D and Adaware SE handy for the occasional double-check. :-)

I was using Zone Alarm (the free version) as my firewall, until recently, when I switched over and just let the Windows firewall work. Since both of them recommended that you only use ONE firewall, and something (I don't remember what) happened with Zone Alarm that I didn't care for, I just enabled the XP firewall, and I haven't had a bit of problem.

I've tried many of the available virus programs, and Avast! is my all-time favorite. I like the way it quietly updates itself unless there's a major change, and how little "energy" it uses. I just like the way it works, overall, and it never gives me a single problem...just does what it's supposed to do, when it's supposed to do it. Too bad more software doesn't do that! :-)

Be blessed, and have a good week!

Linda

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 02:37:28 PM »
It is obviously your choice what firewall you choose.

Windows XP's firewall is better than no firewall but, it lulls you into a false sense of protection, it doesn't provide outbound protection. Whilst the windows XP firewall is usually good at keeping your ports stealthed (hidden) it provides no outbound protection and you should consider a third party firewall.

Any malware that manages to get past your defences will have free reign to connect to the internet to either download more of the same, pass your personal data (sensitive or otherwise, user names, passwords, keylogger retrieved data, etc.) or open a backdoor to your computer, so outbound protection is essential.

lindawing

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 06:33:10 PM »
OK. I hear you. So which firewall do you recommend, and why?

Linda

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 07:17:54 PM »
Personally I use Outpost Pro it is a very good firewall but it isn't the most user friendly if using it in Rules Wizard mode as you get asked a lot of questions for which you need some experience of your system and what is going on.

I used to and to a point still recommend ZA Free but they are changing how that is delivered with additional applications available on a trial basis (in the hope you my upgrade or buy, etc.), but it still has one of the most user friendly interfaces for novice firewall users. I don't know what the issue was that turned you off to ZA but there are other options.

There are a few topics/polls in the General forum about firewalls, so a forum search for firewall should find these.

Zone Alarm free http://www.zonelabs.com works fine with avast and has a reasonably friendly user interface. There are others, Comodo, Sunbelt Kerio, Jetico, etc.
See some firewall tests for comparison, some are freeware but many are paid for versions http://www.firewallleaktester.com/tests.php. Also see http://www.thefreecountry.com/security/firewalls.shtml

Spiritsongs

Firewall & Rootkit Detection
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 08:04:29 PM »
 :)  Hi Linda :

I still use the Sygate Personal firewall, which Symantec/Norton bought, then "abandoned", most
     likely as it was a competitor to their "suspect" firewall. It's available for download from
     www.filehippo.com/download_sygate_personal_firewall/ ; there is a "Setup Guide" at :
     www.kotiposti.net/string/SPF_eng/SPFGuide.html .

For possible rootkit detection, it is best to use a "standalone" program, such as FREE "Rootkit
     Revealer" from www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Security/RootkitRevealer.mspx .
     Microsoft last yr bought the Sysinternals Company, the makers of quality & FREE analysis "tools"
     for yrs. Would not trust the quality of the Rootkit detection "component" of SpySweeper.

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 08:12:44 PM »
OK. I hear you. So which firewall do you recommend, and why?

I am using Comodo Firewall Pro - http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

It's free, and the best firewall I have ever tried. And it work just fine with avast!
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

lindawing

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 06:47:05 PM »
I used to use Sygate--a LONG time ago, but then I thought it became no longer free. That's OK...but I was hoping to find a free one. I think I'll try the Comodo one.

For rootkits, SpySweeper is great. I pay $19.95/year for SpySweeper, and I love it. It gives me protection from key loggers and checks rootkits, and gives me realtime protection that works great, including turning off all the flashing ad banners (you have to train it).

I think I'll go have a look at the Comodo firewall. Thanks, guys! :-)

Linda

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 06:59:03 PM »
I think I'll go have a look at the Comodo firewall. Thanks, guys! :-)

If you have any problems, Comodo have a great forum, where you will get fast answers.

http://forums.comodo.com/index.php/board,50.0.html
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

lindawing

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2007, 07:48:14 AM »
Thanks! :-)

Linda