Author Topic: Avast Cleanup Premium Free Up Space System Junk breaks iTunes  (Read 9767 times)

Offline cowanme

Re: Avast Cleanup Premium Free Up Space System Junk breaks iTunes
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2021, 02:05:35 AM »
Is no one monitoring this thread now? I don't see a response to my previous post.

I've realized I can manually deselect specific applications, so I've been able to run scans without destroying iTunes by deselecting all iTunes and Apple categories. But this is a kludge. I apparently haven't received the update Stellarman mentioned that would automatically exclude the iTunes files.

It's concerning that each of the last two Cleanup updates broke different applications (previously Firefox bookmarks, and most recently iTunes). What's next? Is there any way I can control when and whether I download and install a Cleanup update? I used to get notifications that updates were available and then I could install them at my convenience. There doesn't seem to be any setting now for controlling when updates are applied.

Hi,

sorry for the late reply, I has not been there for a while.

This is really strange that you did not get the configuration update we released a while ago. Could you please check c:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Cleanup\Setup\config.def whether it includes this particular string?
Code: [Select]
[DiskCleaner]
disableSubCat=jumpLists|stardockFences|stardockObjectDockPlus|microsoftOfficeBackupFiles|mSOfficeUnsavedFiles|webApplications|vivaldiWebApplications|edgeWebApplications|braveWebApplications|iTunes|farmingSimulatorOldAutoSaves

If not, than it means you did not get the config for some reason and we will have to investigate it further. As a temporary fix you can also insert the exact same string into the config.def file to simulate the state with the new configuration which shall fix you iTunes issue until we will release the new Cleanup version which will also include the program fix.

When it comes to your second question, yes, there will be also a way how to control the updates released in the new version, so then you can control them completely on your own if you like.

I do have that exact string in my config.def file. However, even after I restart Cleanup Premium (indeed, after I restarted my computer) and Rescan for system junk, I still get iTunes files in the Program backup files and Program log files categories. I have not tried cleaning those files to find out if iTunes will work without them. As noted above, I can do a mostly complete cleanup by deselecting those file groups before running cleanup. After manually excluding those iTunes files, I tested various iTunes functions and everything works correctly. I can live with the workaround.

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2021, 01:14:00 PM »
Is no one monitoring this thread now? I don't see a response to my previous post.

I've realized I can manually deselect specific applications, so I've been able to run scans without destroying iTunes by deselecting all iTunes and Apple categories. But this is a kludge. I apparently haven't received the update Stellarman mentioned that would automatically exclude the iTunes files.

It's concerning that each of the last two Cleanup updates broke different applications (previously Firefox bookmarks, and most recently iTunes). What's next? Is there any way I can control when and whether I download and install a Cleanup update? I used to get notifications that updates were available and then I could install them at my convenience. There doesn't seem to be any setting now for controlling when updates are applied.

Hi,

sorry for the late reply, I has not been there for a while.

This is really strange that you did not get the configuration update we released a while ago. Could you please check c:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Cleanup\Setup\config.def whether it includes this particular string?
Code: [Select]
[DiskCleaner]
disableSubCat=jumpLists|stardockFences|stardockObjectDockPlus|microsoftOfficeBackupFiles|mSOfficeUnsavedFiles|webApplications|vivaldiWebApplications|edgeWebApplications|braveWebApplications|iTunes|farmingSimulatorOldAutoSaves

If not, than it means you did not get the config for some reason and we will have to investigate it further. As a temporary fix you can also insert the exact same string into the config.def file to simulate the state with the new configuration which shall fix you iTunes issue until we will release the new Cleanup version which will also include the program fix.

When it comes to your second question, yes, there will be also a way how to control the updates released in the new version, so then you can control them completely on your own if you like.

I do have that exact string in my config.def file. However, even after I restart Cleanup Premium (indeed, after I restarted my computer) and Rescan for system junk, I still get iTunes files in the Program backup files and Program log files categories. I have not tried cleaning those files to find out if iTunes will work without them. As noted above, I can do a mostly complete cleanup by deselecting those file groups before running cleanup. After manually excluding those iTunes files, I tested various iTunes functions and everything works correctly. I can live with the workaround.

Thank you for reporting that. After a discussion with our developers we found out that we blacklisted only iTunes related items from Program Temp Files category. We are now trying to test whether deleting items related to iTunes from Program backup files and Program log files categories might cause any troubles or not. If we will find out any problem there we will add them to the blacklist in the configuration so they won't be reported anymore.

Until then, please do not delete these categories.

I will keep you updated about the progress.

Thank you.

Offline cowanme

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2021, 02:51:16 PM »
Thanks for the clarification.

Since your earlier message didn't specify the "problematic categories", I overgeneralized. I figured that to be on the safe side, I should be sure no to delete any iTunes files in any category. I'm not seeing any iTunes temp files listed when I run the scan, so the .def file string is excluding those.

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2021, 08:55:49 AM »
Thanks for the clarification.

Since your earlier message didn't specify the "problematic categories", I overgeneralized. I figured that to be on the safe side, I should be sure no to delete any iTunes files in any category. I'm not seeing any iTunes temp files listed when I run the scan, so the .def file string is excluding those.

Hi,

sorry for the late reply. We have added a few new categories to the excluded list and again test it in our environment so now it works correctly and does not delete any important stuff from iTunes (at least in our case).

Please let us know if it works for you or if there are any other items which seems suspicious to you.

Thank you for all you help and have a nice day!

Offline cowanme

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2021, 09:31:04 PM »
Thank you. Avast Cleanup Premium is working for me, without breaking iTunes.  :)

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2021, 11:25:06 AM »
Thank you. Avast Cleanup Premium is working for me, without breaking iTunes.  :)

Hello, thank you for the reply.

I am glad that we finally got it to the state where it does not break anything and I would like to thank you once again for your time and effort you invested into resolving this issue, we would not be able to do it without you!

Thank you and keep enjoying our product!