Author Topic: Avast program update disables Microsoft Antigen  (Read 5727 times)

spica

Avast program update disables Microsoft Antigen
« on: February 14, 2007, 12:52:14 PM »
We are running Avast SBS Edition without the Exchange plug-in, neither the Outlook/Exchange protection. For Exchange protection we run, and have run for a number of years, Sybari Antigen (now called Microsoft Antigen) for antivirus and antispam. Every now and then after a reboot, Antigen fails to start and I have narrowed this down to the Services\MSExchangeIS\VirusScan registry key being removed, this is necessary for Exchange-level AV. Now, since I updated the Avast program this morning and rebooted the server, the same problem has occurred again, the registry key has gone. I traced the last time it was removed, and it coincides with the last time Avast program was updated (11th Oct 2006)

I cannot check further back due to lack of logs, but it does look as if each Avast update is causing this problem. Can you please explain why? Thanks

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Avast program update disables Microsoft Antigen
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 05:51:06 PM »
Is avast installed together with the Exchange Server plugin?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

spica

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 05:52:42 PM »
No, the Exchange plugin is not installed, it is not necessary as Antigen does all the Exchange AV stuff.

ulaaser

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 06:57:37 PM »
Hi,

can I use MS Antigen and the Exchange Server Plugin from AVAST at the same time? As Server im using SBS2003 Premium R2 spanish.

Is it maybe better only use MS Antigen on the Exchange side?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 10:44:39 PM »
Hi, and welcome to the avast forums.
Unfortunately, I don't know.

AFAIK Exchange supports only one AV product at a time - but it is possible that Antigen bypasses the regular APIs and uses some other methods, overriding this limitation...

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.