Author Topic: Avast files deleted  (Read 2505 times)

luiz_bomgaroto

Avast files deleted
« on: February 17, 2007, 03:05:03 PM »
Hi there,

I have been running avast on all PCs here at home for almost a year now. For the first time in such period I am facing difficulties in one of my PCs.

Apparently somekind of virus was able to delete the main executables of avast software from the disk. I have realized this as the avast icon suddenly turned to a blank icon on the desktop. I tried to start the avast main screen from the avast taskbar icon but nothing happened. The problem got serious when I re-installed the avast anti-virus and the files were deleted again.

The eventual software which is causing the problem has managed to pass the boot scan that is done after the set-up of avast. I have tried scanning the PC with the avast cleaner, but I have got nothing.

Has some of you had a similar problem?

Avast resident protection seems to be working fine, but as many of the executables were deleted, the avast main screen does not start-up.

Please help.

mauserme

Re: Avast files deleted
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 03:12:12 PM »
Welcome to the forum luiz.

There is a bagle rootkit making the rounds that could be the cause of your problem (possibly two variants, actually).

Please try scanning with F-Secure Blacklight

http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight/

and if that doesn't solve the problem try a Panda on-line scan

http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/ActiveScan.htm

Please let us know if this works and if you are able to isolate a sample of the malware.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 03:14:31 PM by mauserme »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast files deleted
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 04:06:36 PM »
If you are able to isolate the files associated with this rootkit as mauserme said a sample can be sent to avast for analysis and hopefully inclusion in the VPS.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security