Author Topic: Avast is lightweight. What companions are lightweigth too?  (Read 8536 times)

avvidro

Avast is lightweight. What companions are lightweigth too?
« on: February 16, 2007, 10:26:59 PM »
What Firewall, anti-spyware, anti-anything would you suggest to accomplish Avast? I know this has been already asked, but I reask it with lighweigth spirit in mind.

Thanks and congratulations for the prizes of Avast.

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
Re: Avast is lightweight. What companions are lightweigth too?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 01:12:03 AM »
What Firewall, anti-spyware, anti-anything would you suggest to accomplish Avast? I know this has been already asked, but I reask it with lighweigth spirit in mind.

Thanks and congratulations for the prizes of Avast.

I'm using Comodo Firewall Pro, it's free, and it's not using much resources.

And it works just fine with avast!

http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com

For anti-spyware I use AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 (paid version*, for the resident shield with on-access scanning)

http://www.ewido.net/en/download/

This program also work just fine with avast! and don't use much resources.

* After the installation, a free 30-day trial version containing all the extensions of the full version will be activated. At the end of the trial, these extensions will be deactivated and the program will turn into a feature-limited freeware version.
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 02:16:15 AM »
PCTools Firewall Plus is a free fw that is very light on RAM (4mb).  It is easy to use.
http://www.pctools.com/firewall/

WinPatrol is a great program that not only blocks spyware, but can be used to block spyware cookies, manage start ups, delay start ups, find what's running & more.  Light on resources.  http://www.winpatrol.com/

SpywareBlaster http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 11:19:42 AM »
Hi,
I'm using Avast home, Comodo Firewall, SpywareTerminator, and Winpatrol. All fairly light, and happy together. Immunized with Spybot's bad download blocker, SpywareBlaster, and SpywareGuard, both by Javacool.
5 out of 7 providers enabled in Avast. (I don't use messaging, nor MS outlook.)
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

MLReynolds

To Bluesman:Re: Avast is lightweight. What companions are lightweigth too?
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 10:41:00 PM »
Hello,

Bluesman, you stated that you are using Comodo Firewall. I have been using it for two weeks now, and am, in general very pleased with it. I do however, have an issue with Comodo on two occasions blocking Avast from scanning my email (I use Thunderbird email client)

If you have the time, please read the two posts I placed in the Comodo Firewall Forum;

http://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,6499.0.html

and

http://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,6564.0.html

Have you had anything like this happen to you, or heard of anyone else experiencing this situation?

I've been using Avast for four to five years, and another firewall for five years. I never experienced the problem with my previous firewall, but feel a lot more comfortable with Comodo.

I'm using Windows XP, Home Edition, SP2

Thank you,
MLReynolds

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 11:12:03 PM »
Ensure that comodo allows access for ashMaiSv.exe.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

MLReynolds

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 09:10:47 AM »
David R,

I apologize for the duplicate question. My error.

All functions of Avast are allowed in Comodo on my PC, including ashMaiSv.exe. The problem occurred when an update was made to Comodo, and a second time with the last update to Avast.

Thank you,
MLReynolds

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
Re: To Bluesman:Re: Avast is lightweight. What companions are lightweigth too?
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 10:41:04 AM »
Have you had anything like this happen to you, or heard of anyone else experiencing this situation?

I haven't had this problem myself, but a friend have had it after an "double-update" (VPS and program update in avast!). He also got problem with the mail after the update, but he just deleted the ashMaiSv.exe entry in the application monitor in the firewall, and then he checked his mailaccount from Thunderbird, and he got a popup from the firewall (about ashMaiSv.exe), he clicked on "Allow" (and remember the setting), and then his mail was working just fine, and have done that since then.

I had some problems with surfing once, after a program update of avast!, but after a similar procedure as above (I just deleted the entry ashWebSv.exe, and then started my browser, I accepted the popup from the firewall, and everything was working fine again).

I posted the above message in your thread in the Comodo-forum also.
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 02:41:40 PM »
All functions of Avast are allowed in Comodo on my PC, including ashMaiSv.exe. The problem occurred when an update was made to Comodo, and a second time with the last update to Avast.

This can on occasion happen that the firewall permissions although allowed, the data is somehow corrupt or otherwise not working. This has happened to me also and the resolution is as Bluesman suggests deleting the entry and have the firewall ask again, so delete the entry for ashMaiSv.exe in comodo and check your email, it will ask permission.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

MLReynolds

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 09:18:51 PM »
Thank you for your input Bluesman and David R.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 09:28:28 PM »
Your welcome, but did it resolve the problem ?

MLReynolds

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 08:04:35 AM »
DavidR,

If by "resolved" you mean is my email scan working, yes. However, I have not yet done as Bluesman suggested.

The first incident, after verifying that the email scan was in deed not working, I ran the "Scan for known application" wizard in Comodo. That fixed the problem.

On the second occasion, I again ran the "Scan for known application" wizard in Comodo. That, again fixed the problem.

If it happens again, I will try as Bluesman suggested, to see if that is a more permanent solution. Although both solutions seem the same; Bluesman's approach seem more direct, though manual, and the Comodo Wizard is more automated. Would you agree?

MLReynolds
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 08:18:13 AM by MLReynolds »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 12:21:44 PM »
I don't use comodo, so my suggestion was general about deletion of the firewall entry for ashMaiSv.exe as this has worked for a number of different firewalls, Zone Alarm (most commonly) and also mine Outpost Pro.

If I experience a connection related problem with either ashMaiSv.exe or ashwebsv.exe I just delete the entry and try again and the firewall asks permission again, that is very quick, nothing to run.