Author Topic: Really disapointed  (Read 1231 times)

Offline psaval

Really disapointed
« on: May 03, 2021, 12:12:17 AM »
I just instaled Utorrent and sadly i didn't notice the installation of avast, was a silent one, what the rUCK!   Totally disapointed, and not only that, you deleted my miner and stoped it from working.   The developers have some issues? Why in the hell would someone wanting his antivirus, if any needed, deleting an app he installed on purpose and he intentionally putted to work?   Hours of mining wasted because i saw the window icon and dind't noticed..., you really are worse than useless...   If the loses hitted 300%u20AC you will had a lawsuit for the loss of profit (lucky for you not so much) , but you should really reconsider what you think a virus is.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 12:13:56 AM by psaval »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Really disapointed
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 03:29:07 AM »
I have no knowledge of any connection between Utorrent and Avast Software.

That said, what Utorrent version did you get (?) Free or Pro as the pro version states "Added Security: scan torrents, block all viruses" in one of the Features.  I don't know what antivirus that is using or if that is why you ended up with avast installed. (see attached image).

Before shooting the messenger, I'm an avast user (not an avast team member) that has been using avast free for 17 years.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
  • Come on lad! You've only got 70 yards to go.
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 04:18:54 PM »
If I were to use a PC for bitcoin mining, I would setup a single-use machine with a minimum of complexity for the purpose of assured reliability.  I would use a firewall but not antimalware and would also use a UPS to guard against power fluctuations.  Running a machine for a test period might give some assurance of reliability.  Personally I would not mine bitcoin because we are wasting enough energy already on frivolous pursuits and I would prioritise climate stability over self-enrichment every time.   If I were a judge, I would place responsibility for system reliability firmly on the user.  Avast cannot be responsible for the quality of the building of a system.

There are probably 100 processes or more running on a Windows 10 system and any of these could fail.  Absolute reliabilty doesn't come easy or cheap.   :D
Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64, Avast Free 24.1, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 06:18:35 PM »
I just instaled Utorrent and sadly i didn't notice the installation of avast, was a silent one, what the rUCK!   Totally disapointed, and not only that, you deleted my miner and stoped it from working.   The developers have some issues? Why in the hell would someone wanting his antivirus, if any needed, deleting an app he installed on purpose and he intentionally putted to work?   Hours of mining wasted because i saw the window icon and dind't noticed..., you really are worse than useless...   If the loses hitted 300%u20AC you will had a lawsuit for the loss of profit (lucky for you not so much) , but you should really reconsider what you think a virus is.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience. The installation of Avast might be offered during the setup of the uTorrent client, and if this offer is not declined, then it will be installed together with the uTorrnet client.
Avast would not delete anything by default. If a program is detected as malicious or potentially unwanted, it is sent to the virus chest, from which it can be restored. We do not detect all miners in general, but we do have some simple rules that a miner must follow not to be detected by Avast - https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/281
It is difficult to say what exactly happened on your PC, especially if you have uninstalled Avast. There is not much we can do to analyze the issue as logs are not kept when you uninstall Avast from your PC.
Could you please let us know which miner you used that Avast detected? Did you try restoring the program from the virus chest, or did you uninstall Avast immediately?