Author Topic: Avast not installed but Browser extensions keep installing  (Read 714 times)

Offline AnonymousPony

Hello,

Today I had to re-install my browser completely to fix a bug, and I have noticed that several browser extensions instantly installed themself into my freshly installed browser, under which we have Avast SafePrice and Avast Online Security. The thing is, Avast is not installed, I have removed it 2 years ago, so how is it possible that these extensions just install themself again? And how can I stop this from happening?

Thanks and have a great day

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast not installed but Browser extensions keep installing
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 03:22:57 AM »
The browser add-ons/extensions are separate from the avast antivirus. 

Whilst you will have been given the option to install these some time ago, once they are in the browser they need to be removed in the same way as other browser add-ons/extensions.

Once removed they should remain that way, they certainly behaved that way in Firefox, but you don't mention what browser you are using ?

I have no idea why they have come back to life.  But was the new browser installation for the same browser you used before ?
I'm wondering if there wasn't a copy of your browsers user profile remaining.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security