Author Topic: My server cannot access the internet  (Read 7055 times)

Johanne

My server cannot access the internet
« on: January 22, 2007, 07:41:59 PM »
We are a small business environment.  I've downloaded your trial version of avast! Standard Suite and have been using it for the last 3 weeks.  Going well so far!

I'm a bit confused on the difference between the managed client and server portion of the software package.  I loaded the ADMN on the server and pushed the managed client software out including at the server.  Then realized that I had not loaded the server portion of the software which I have done.  So what's the difference?  Is the server portion the software that gets the updates for the virus and all that?  Is the managed client supposed to be installed at the server? 

I also noticed that I cannot surf the net at the server but can at the workstations.  I have to change the resident protection to none to surf.  I've disabled the script blocking thinking that might be the problem but no go.  Am I not understanding the architecture of this software?

Johanne

Re: My server cannot access the internet
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 05:29:42 PM »
Forget the second paragraph, I get it now.

Regarding the third paragraph, can anyone tell me why I cant go to the internet on the computer where the ADNM and Server Edition is loaded.  If I need to get some windows security updates, I have to turn off the avast.  Again, I don't have this issue at the workstations.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 12:10:34 AM »
Dear Johanne,

first, let me apologize for the late response.

To answer your question regarding the inability to browse the web on your server, please be sure this is definitely NOT a feature of avast. There must be something wrong in the configuration.

Can you please confirm if this is caused by the "Web Shield" provider (by temporarily stopping it)?

Are you running some kind of "personal firewall" on the server? Or maybe ISA?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Johanne

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »
No personal firewall or ISA (I don't even know what ISA means) on the server.  This is a very basic small office data server running Win2000 Server.

Stopping Web Shield does allow me to go to the internet.  So now what?  Is it safe to run without it?  or should I just disable it when needed?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 12:55:44 AM »
OK, try restarting the WebShield provider, but now configure the browser to use its proxy server. Ie. configure the browser to use proxy server localhost:12080, as described here: http://www.avast.com/eng/faq-home-webshield.html

Thanks
Vlk

Johanne

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 02:39:41 PM »
Didn't work.  Do you have to reboot?  :(

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 12:16:35 AM »
No, no reboot should be necessary.
So, IE doesn't display anything? Or it displays an error message?
Or what happens, exactly?

BTW could you please try e.g. Firefox? Just to find out if this is a problem related to IE only or any browser...

Thanks
Vlk

Johanne

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 02:20:02 PM »
IE displays "The page cannot be displayed" for any website I try to enter.

Until I install Acronis, I will not install any other software on this live server.  I will attempt the test within the next week.

Otherwise, do you have any other ideas?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 11:29:11 PM »
Does it make any difference if you completely stop the WebShield provider? (make sure to first delete the localhost:12080 proxy settings from IE, if not already done so...).

Thanks
Vlk

Johanne

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 02:34:10 PM »
Yes, if I stop the shield, I can go to the net.  I have already attempted stopping the localhost: 12080, but it made no difference.  I have to stop the shield altogether.