Author Topic: Your location is exposed  (Read 1653 times)

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
  • Come on lad! You've only got 70 yards to go.
Your location is exposed
« on: May 05, 2021, 11:53:12 AM »
I guess that what Avast isn't telling me is that the probable source of this information is Google. My ISP does not provide reverse DNS details.
Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64, Avast Free 24.3.6108, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Your location is exposed
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 01:05:23 PM »
I don't really think it is telling you anything other than promoting the Avast Secureline VPN.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 05:03:40 PM »
In spite of the 'irritants', I would not use a competitor's product. I have enormous confidence in Avast. It has served me and a number of relatives and friends extremely well  for many years.

I am sad to say that I have ceased to use Outpost on my remaining legacy XP system. I did use it on Windows 7 x64 until it had a kerfuffle with OSArmor and I realised that its time had finally passed. OSArmor won.
Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64, Avast Free 24.3.6108, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 06:40:59 PM »
Personally the nagging promotions/aka ads don't bother me that much.

I know a VPN would hide my ass (an interesting name of just one such product), but hide me from what, I don't visit sites that I would want to hide my having accessed them.  I get a laugh out of many of these promotions as they are dumb by nature (they don't dig deep into your system) and just throw up this infor'mercial style promotion (that is tantamount on spying on the user).  Such as throwing up the VPN promotion even when the user is already using a 3rd party VPN (just not Avast's VPN).

Others I just go so bloody what, I look after my systems security/backup, etc. etc. and and just ignore them.  Obviously it is working and people are taking up the offer or they wouldn't continue. 

I just wish they would become more intelligent in the delivery if I haven't taken them up in 17 years of using Avast Free (which meets my needs) to dial down the volume/frequency of such promotions.

I too used Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro 9.3 (lifetime license) for some considerable time until I effectively retired my XP Pro system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 08:28:43 AM »
Nags can be a very real nuisance when I am setting up a BACS payment on my Midland online banking and have to concentrate on the procedure using the Midland secure key. You can rely on a nag popping up just when the distraction is least needed. My poor old double cell brain creaks loudly under the strain.  :P

Offline Leo3487

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2021, 04:48:54 AM »
but hide me from what, I don't visit sites that I would want to hide my having accessed them

Depends where you live and the political situation