Author Topic: Web Shield or Web Scanner  (Read 11792 times)

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
Re: Web Shield or Web Scanner
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2007, 01:20:14 PM »
Martin,
does the problem appear on any page, or are there some pages that work without a problem and some that are problematic?

luk.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2007, 01:25:41 PM »
Also, please, can you verify that you have the latest version, which should now be: 4.7.700

Thanks.

JeremyG

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2007, 10:03:22 PM »
Hello,

I would just like to add my 2 cents' worth. I have been encountering this same problem for a long time now, at least a year or so as far as I can remember.

Symptoms : while surfing with Firefox (I haven't seen this with IE), every now and then when I click on a link, I get the following behaviour : the hard drive light turns on and stays lit as if the disk was working hard. While this is going on, navigating is completely impossible, though established connections (e.g. streaming) sometimes survive. But anything requiring a new TCP session or DNS request just doesn't make it. The blocking effect lasts anywhere between 30 seconds and 3 to 4 minutes, then everything returns to normal.

Related observations : although the disk light is on and flickers as if the disk was grinding away, the task manager shows no unusual CPU activity, and doesn't appear to show abnormal read/writes. After checking various other possible sources (particularly the Firewall, which is also Comodo 2.4.18.184) I noticed that the Avast Standard Shield provider appeared to be scanning a great number of files while the problem was occuring, and the disappearance of the problem appears to coincide with the provider stopping its scanning.
The problem does not appear to be related to any specific site, URL or content type, but again, seems to be related to surfing using Firefox rather than IE. Also, this may be a figment of my imagination, but the effect seems to happen particularly often if I have left things alone for a few minutes then start navigating again.

Config : HP Pavilion 5138ea, Athlon-XP-M 3000, 512 MB RAM, Windows XP Home SP2 (German) with full patches, Firefox 2.0.0.3, IE7 7.0.5730.11, Outlook XP SP3, Avast Home 4.7.1001, Comodo Firewall 2.4.18.184
Note that this has been happening since well before any of those versions were available. The Avast scanner configuration is default.

I hope that gives you a little more information, and I will post back if I notice any additional details regarding how/when this happens.

This possible problem aside, thanks to Avast for making such a useful product available to us all.

Cheers,
JeremyG