Author Topic: avast complications w/ zonealarm?  (Read 18516 times)

Im4gzusgrl

Re: avast complications w/ zonealarm?
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2007, 02:18:10 AM »
Where do I set the internet mail senstivity?  On avast or on my Comodo Firewall?

Thanks again for all your help!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2007, 02:23:21 AM »
On avast, double click the avast icon and select the Internet Mail provider and move the slider to High and that is done, if you don't see an image like mine then click the Details button.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mauserme

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2007, 05:03:20 AM »
It is very frustrating to me b/c I have 1% idea whether something is a problem to be concerned about.
Yeah - but now your already up to 2% or 3%.

Is there some sort of list that explains how to tell when something is harmless or a problem? There was a place on Comodo I checked out...but it didn't explain anything of help to me. I often don't know whether or not to okay a program, just as I didnt know with Zone Alarm.
Comodo will often give you an opinion and, short of that, google is good.  Search the name of the process or program and you will usually get a wealth of information.  Sites like www.liutilities.com and www.neuber.com are often pretty useful.  One thing for sure, if you google something and can't find any information be suspicious of it.

This all will take up a decent amount of memory. While these are non-resident programs will the amount of memory used not slow my computer down at all? It makes sense that the less memory used the faster my computer runs...true or false
True.  And you will notice a slow down when you're scanning with one of the programs in the list.  But after the 10 or 15 minutes it takes to run the scan you close the program and the memory it was using is freed for other processes.

Im4gzusgrl

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2007, 01:36:00 PM »
mauserme - you included a backup virus scanner to have on hand in ur list.  Since such scanners often update themselves and such, should I have it running too?  But if I did that it would be a resident program as opposed to non-resident.  So then it wouldn't be backup.  If it shouldn't be running daily then that means I should be updating it manually at certain points?

Thanks!

All of my avast settings are on High.

mauserme

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2007, 02:07:53 PM »
If you use the automatic update option then yes, they will use some resources even when not scanning.  But neither have a "real-time" protection option.

My avast! settings are all high except Standard shield which is set to normal.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2007, 02:11:21 PM »
Back-up scanners that aren't enabled 'don't' update themselves if they have no service or running process they can't and you have to do manual updates. If they have an auto update function there is a service running somewhere, they should also have an option to disable auto updates.

That is one of the selling points for some paid for options (auto updates) and these usually have resident protection also (not desired for an on-demand back-up).

For a back-up scanner, start it, connect to the internet, updated it and disconnect from the internet. Now I advise you pause the Standard Shield (to avoid potential conflict, and double scanning) and run the back-up scanner, when completed close it and continue Standard Shield.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Im4gzusgrl

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2007, 02:38:08 PM »
Thanks for the explanation on how to deal w/ the backup scanner!  Definitley helps!...off to do that now.

I already downloaded,updated, and ran Ad Aware SE and it found 65 critical files and quarantined them.  They were all tracking cookies I believe - level TAC was 3 - I wasn't sure what to do w/ them so they are still quarantined.

mauserme - concerning your list of recommmended programs - Avast, Comodo, and [WinPatrol] are all resident programs and the remaining 6 (a backup scanner, Ad Aware SE, AVG AntiSpyware Super AntiSpyware, Spyware Blaster and Spybot S&D) are all non-resident programs?  Just want to make sure.  Also, how often should one run the non-resident programs and make sure they are updated?  weekly?  monthly?  does it differ pertaining to which program?

mauserme

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2007, 03:35:27 PM »
The back up antivirus is just there in case you need it - if avast! gives you a detection and you want to double check it, or if you think you are infected and avast! isn't alerting you to anything,  You don't need to use it regularly and, in fact, there are some on-line options if you don't want to install a secondary scanner at all.

AVG Antispyware will install as a resident program and remain so for 30 days, after which it will become non-resident unless you decide to purchase it.  AdAware SE (free version), Super Antispyware (free version), and Spybot S&D are all nonresident.  I usually scan with these once a week.

Spyware Blaster is not a scanner - it is a program that adds "kill bits" to your registry that will prevent certain malware from running.  You should open the program, check for updates, and "enable all protection" if there were update once every three or four weeks.  It's during this update process that the program uses some resources - at other times it uses none.

The cookies AdAware found are probably not all that critical.  Its actually a good idea to clean the cookies and temporary files from time to time with a program like CCleaner

http://www.ccleaner.com/

If you install this make sure to uncheck the option to install the Yahoo Toolbar - most people don't want that.

Sesame

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2007, 03:45:43 PM »
Its actually a good idea to clean the cookies and temporary files from time to time with a program like CCleaner

http://www.ccleaner.com/

If you install this make sure to uncheck the option to install the Yahoo Toolbar - most people don't want that.
Nothing but mere an addendum for information of CCleaner.  From here you can Basic (without Yahoo! toolbar) or Slim(only English) version.

mauserme

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2007, 05:00:16 PM »
Ta  :)

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2007, 05:02:28 PM »
The CCleaner Caution also gets you to the right place.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

drhayden1

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2007, 05:14:11 PM »
as always good to hear that from you bob my friend ::)
wonder if ccleaner has got a lot of bad feedback for that option being on there ???

Im4gzusgrl

« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2007, 08:13:08 PM »
sweet - explanation makes a lot of sense - I think I am now equipped to safely be online as soon as I finish installing a few more of those programs.

Thanks everyone for your help!  I have already been sharing my new bits of info. w/ others and trying to "convert" them.

drhayden1

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2007, 09:06:43 PM »
this is a good free defrag program that will help your system....use it on my hp laptop...real good :)
Disk fragmentation leads to system slowdowns, PC crashes, slow startup and shutdown and sometimes to system failures. Auslogics Disk Defrag® is designed for fast optimization of today's modern hard disks. Get the maximum performance out of your expensive hardware investments. And it's absolutely FREE.
Improve computer performance and stability
Increase your productivity - no more waiting for files to open
Defragment disks in only a few minutes
Useful disk fragmentation map and detailed fragmentation report
Windows XP Home and Professional, 2000/2003 and Vista supported

http://www.auslogics.com/disk-defrag/index.php
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 10:35:18 PM by drhayden1 »

Im4gzusgrl

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2007, 11:58:10 PM »
Well I finished everything suggested and all seems well!  I am excited lol Anyways does anyone know what exactly Bonjour Service is. I looked online and it is an Apple Program apparently for multimedia type stuff.  Just as View Point Manager is a program automatically downloaded when one has downloaded AIM to use, is Bonjour a necessary program for some other program?  I have always told my firewall to deny the application, but have never known if I need it.  Any ideas?