Author Topic: Does iAVS update run as a service?  (Read 3120 times)

Offline Weasel

Does iAVS update run as a service?
« on: February 24, 2007, 01:32:41 AM »
On a Windows XP box, will the iAVS updating still be performed if no user is logged on?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Does iAVS update run as a service?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 01:55:24 AM »
The ashUpdSv.exe may be running if you installed avast using 'the administrator' account, but the iAVS update is a user initiated check. But is there another reason you ask, like will it connect and update if the system is on but no users logged on ?

The answer is no, avast doesn't establish a connection but checks for the presence od a connection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 10:19:46 AM »
David, I'm not sure I understand your reply.

There's a simple answer to Weasel's question, and the answer is YES, avast will auto-update even if no one is logged on.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Weasel

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 01:40:39 PM »
Thanks for both replies.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 02:01:00 PM »
David, I'm not sure I understand your reply.

There's a simple answer to Weasel's question, and the answer is YES, avast will auto-update even if no one is logged on.

My thoughts were, if no one is logged on, then perhaps there won't be an internet connection established, in which case avast doesn't establish one. I though this was what we had always said avast doesn't establish a connection but just checks for the presence of one.

The other one was the comment "will the iAVS updating still be performed if no user is logged on" rather than will the AutoUpdate be performed if no user is logged on, as I associate the iAVS update with the manual update via the avast icon. Perhaps it is just interpretation of what was said to what was meant and the title being a little different to the question.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 02:33:28 PM »
iAVS is the old name we used for "virus definitions" (as opposed to "program"). But that's not too important...

But you're right that avast doesn't establish any connections on its own. So, to correct my original answer, "YES, but only if there's an Internet connection already established".

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Weasel

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 05:38:10 PM »
Sorry for any confusion I may have caused. To me, a service was something that ran, and continued to run,  even if there were no active/signed-on users.
SETUP: Windows XP, broadband cable internet connection always on, Avast set to auto update signature file every 8 hours.
If all users are logged off, but Windows is still running, will the auto-update take place?
Thanks for your time.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 08:31:15 PM »
You can answer that question, if your unattended system with no users logged on has an internet connection, then Yes, if not then No.

If you have a broadband connection it is possible that the connection is established shortly after boot, some require you to connect, that is up to your ISP I guess.

You could test it by setting the VPS updates to Manual for a few days, during that period monitor the avast! VPS Updates History page.
Once you see a new update has been released then disconnect from the internet, set the Program Settings, (Basic) VPS updates to automatic again.
Reboot your system but don't log on leave it for some time and then logon and see if the update has been installed (about avast). Normally avast checks for updates once you connect or after four hours if you remain connected, so you shouldn't have to wait long.