Author Topic: VPN blocks BBC TV programmes  (Read 2944 times)

Offline ronlee99

VPN blocks BBC TV programmes
« on: May 07, 2021, 12:22:42 AM »
Despite VPN showing my false address as London or Glasgow accessing the BBC iplayer is blocked as it says I am not in the UK.  Short of turning VPN off how can I fix this?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: VPN blocks BBC TV programmes
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 12:52:09 AM »
The BBC uses other means to check if people aren't in the UK not just checking the IP address to see if they are using a VPN.

If you are in the UK then you don't need a VPN, but as far as I'm aware they also check somehow if you are a license player.  You can't just click and go, you have to sign in, which is possibly how they would check if you are entitled to view the content.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline ronlee99

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 01:42:18 AM »
I am registered to the BBC website - whenever I enter it my user name is shown.

If I switch VPN off before entering I can view the programmes but if I don't then I am blocked.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 02:09:06 AM »
I am registered to the BBC website - whenever I enter it my user name is shown.

If I switch VPN off before entering I can view the programmes but if I don't then I am blocked.

I don't know if the the registration process they collect IP/location data.

I don't know why you would want to use a VPN to connect to iPlayer if you are in the UK ?

I don't know if the VPN stops them accessing information to confirm your right of access.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 11:38:49 AM »
Despite VPN showing my false address as London or Glasgow accessing the BBC iplayer is blocked as it says I am not in the UK.  Short of turning VPN off how can I fix this?

Hi,

Could you try the Wonderland server, please (it is meant for BBC UK streaming)?
If you wish to keep the VPN on whilst excluding certain websites then you could set up a bypass.
Please see this guide: https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/SecureLine-VPN-exclude-server
In SMART VPN mode, you can add sites you wish to exclude. Please see this guide: https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/Use-SecureLine-VPN-standalone/#idt_030