Author Topic: Forum (finally) updated  (Read 16338 times)

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Forum (finally) updated
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2007, 03:38:04 PM »
Why are the email addresses shown despite my forum profile having 'Hide email address from public?' The email icon and address is still in the profile information of the post.

Edit: I have been back into my profile and although the option was checked, I unchecked it and rechecked it, entered my password and changed the settings. This removed the email icon, but why was it necessary to do this when my original profile set-up and that shown in the new update showed the 'Hide email address from public?' option was checked.

Edit2: Cancel my last its bl**dy back again, what is going on ?

Me too!

kubecj

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2007, 03:40:07 PM »
Calm down. Both of you should tick 'hide' now and then both write each other if you see the other's mail  8)

Maybe the behaviour changed between the versions, that you see your own email address even if you have it ticked as hidden.

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2007, 03:47:48 PM »
Maybe the behaviour changed between the versions, that you see your own email address even if you have it ticked as hidden.

I'm sitting here looking at the email envelope in the post above yours (and in this post). Do you see the envelope?

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2007, 03:48:47 PM »
Forum was updated to latest version 1.1.2

It looks great to me 8)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2007, 03:50:53 PM »
Calm down, it isn't your email address hanging in the breeze.

I have always had the Hide option ticked and previously it has always hidden the icon.

I can't see OC's email icon, are you saying I can see my email icon and no one else. Why would I want to see my 'own' email icon and address what purpose would that serve, it never worked that way before ?

Can you see your own email icon ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

kubecj

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2007, 03:52:27 PM »
Heh, guys, I see all the emails, hidden or not, that's why I can't test it for you  ;D

If you don't see OrangeCrate's mail, then everything is okay...  ;)

chocholo-fake

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2007, 03:57:40 PM »
Under this "normal" account I can't see your e-mail address in your posts nor in your forum profiles, but I can see mine, so I think it is OK.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2007, 04:05:06 PM »
Hardly OK when I have ticked Hide.

As I said, "Why would I want to see my 'own' email icon and address what purpose would that serve" the only thing that I see is it serves to confuse, when you have chosen an option to Hide your email and there it is in your face.

I don't know how the information is put on the page or if it is retained in a variable, but if I can see it and it is displayed in my status bar that information is technically available to harvesters.

I simply can't see the purpose to display your 'own' email why go to that effort to display something that clearly isn't wanted by selecting Hide email address ???
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

kubecj

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2007, 04:11:22 PM »
Then I don't know what you want.

Test user chocholo does not see your mail. Is it wrong? I don't think so.

It does not matter if you see it or not (I can't do anything with that, the code is beyond my control). What matters is if somebody else can see it.

Guests (harvesters) see nothing.
Other users see your profile, but not your email.

What's the problem?  ::)

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2007, 04:17:29 PM »
^ O.K.,

Bob just PMed me and said that he sees nothing in the profile, though I see my email address. Others in this thread say they don't see the mail icon in my posts, so I guess I'll let it go...

Pretty strange behavior for forum software though - but hey, if I ever want/need to email myself, at least I know what my address is.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 04:20:08 PM by OrangeCrate »

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2007, 04:19:01 PM »
Under this "normal" account I can't see your e-mail address in your posts nor in your forum profiles, but I can see mine, so I think it is OK.

Thanks for your input, welcome to the forums...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2007, 04:36:30 PM »
My only concern is one of confusion, having selected an option to supposedly 'hide' your email address there is it right in your face.

When I found the email icon in the displayed information, I went looking in the profile settings to see if somehow the new forum update had screwed up my settings. So when I saw the Hide option still ticked I was confused as to what was going on. So I feel I will not be the only one that was confused by this, new members who choose to hide their email only to see it in their face, what are they going to think ?

As you said, the code is outside your control, so what I want is also outside your control, if someone chooses to hide their email address 'don't display an icon in the profile information in forum posts'

To the users of the forum (to me certainly), posts look to all intents displayed on a public place and who wants to send themselves an email ???

Offline chocholo

• Poster
  • BSC, GSC, MCP
    • Avast
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2007, 05:00:06 PM »

Thanks for your input, welcome to the forums...
Well, I am on these forums for a longer time :) Chocholo-fake is just normal user account without special rights.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2007, 05:08:37 PM »
Will we have the customized (orange/grey avast-style) themes back?

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

kubecj

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2007, 05:13:24 PM »
Ask Pavel, methinks  ;)
Everything was backed up, but since it was directly unusable, somebody has to do the hard work of re-customizing everything (ask me why I don't like to upgrade this beast  ::))