Author Topic: Is this a bug.?  (Read 5051 times)

Parabellum

Is this a bug.?
« on: February 21, 2004, 06:03:05 PM »
I have tested Avast ( 4.1.342) and found some errors. Just when the program is installed on the machine and you scan for virus, Avast for example finds 2 viruses. A warning appear and you have to decide what you want to do about it. Afterwards you can see in ”show log files” under Warning, that the two warnings you got are noted in the logfile. I have done several tests with a harmless ”virus” and each time Avast finds a virus, it is noted in the log under Warning. The problem is, if you delete what there is in the warning logfile, the program subsequently doesn’t note more events in the log, no matter what you do. Why?. ( In both the standart and the pro version )

In the pro version. Mark a session, right click on it and choose Properties, thereafter packers, the slider to the right cann’t be used, and you are therefore only able to see to the RAR archive. Isn’t that an error?

I have also tested Avast on a machine at my work, I use a keylogger as ”virus”. Here I have to insert *\BPKHK.DLL in the standard shield, in order not to get a virus warning each time I open the keylogger. On my private machine, which is set up in the exact same way, I can work with the keylogger, without excluding it in the standard shield. What could be the reason for that?.

Use Win XP pro, SP1 on both machines.

Regards

Peter Weise 8)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:Is this a bug.?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2004, 07:19:00 PM »
In the pro version. Mark a session, right click on it and choose Properties, thereafter packers, the slider to the right cann?t be used, and you are therefore only able to see to the RAR archive. Isn?t that an error?

Don't you have the "all packers" checkbox checked? If yes, the list below is disabled.

I have also tested Avast on a machine at my work, I use a keylogger as ?virus?. Here I have to insert *\BPKHK.DLL in the standard shield, in order not to get a virus warning each time I open the keylogger. On my private machine, which is set up in the exact same way, I can work with the keylogger, without excluding it in the standard shield. What could be the reason for that?.

Are all the settings of the Standard Shield provider equal? How about the installation paths of the keylogger?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2004, 07:23:19 PM »
Quote from: Parabellum on Today at 06:03:05pm
In the pro version. Mark a session, right click on it and choose Properties, thereafter packers, the slider to the right cann?t be used, and you are therefore only able to see to the RAR archive. Isn?t that an error?

Don't you have the "all packers" checkbox checked? If yes, the list below is disabled.

Wait a moment, we're talking sessions here!
Session properties are by definition read-only. That is, they show you the properties of the task that were used to create the session. You can't change the history. :)

Makes sense?
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2004, 07:29:56 PM »
Oops, I had no idea it's even possible to display such properties of a session  :-[

What about the other things?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2004, 07:41:07 PM »
The problem is, if you delete what there is in the warning logfile, the program subsequently doesn’t note more events in the log, no matter what you do. Why?. ( In both the standart and the pro version )

How do you empty the log? By using the appropriate option in the log viewer? Also, is it logged to the Windows Event Log (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer), Antivirus category?

BTW, logs are not primarily used to inform about infections. You can use Reports for that - they're much more powerful. See the task properties, Report page.

I have also tested Avast on a machine at my work, I use a keylogger as ”virus”. Here I have to insert *\BPKHK.DLL in the standard shield, in order not to get a virus warning each time I open the keylogger. On my private machine, which is set up in the exact same way, I can work with the keylogger, without excluding it in the standard shield. What could be the reason for that?.

I'd guess you're not using WinXP on your private machine but are using it on the first machine. That would explain it... Or am I wrong?

Parabellum

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2004, 11:41:11 PM »
Hi,

. “Don't you have the "all packers" checkbox checked? If yes, the list below is disabled.”
I haven’t marked all the packers, only a few. Because the session “Properties” are by definition read-only you cant see what’s marked under the RAR archive.

“Are all the settings of the Standard Shield provider equal? How about the installation paths of the keylogger? “
  Yes they are installed exactly the same way on both machines. Under settings/exclusions/ are the library containing the Keylogger files checked so it will be excluded from the scan.

“How do you empty the log?”  
        I right click in the log window and choose ”Delete Current Log”. You are right, one   can also see the log in “Windows Event log”. But the Windows Event Log ceases getting updated, after I have deleted the log as described in Avast.

” I'd guess you're not using WinXP on your private machine but are using it on the first machine. That would explain it... Or am I wrong?”
Yes you are wrong, as I wrote in my last letter i am using Windows XP Pro on both PC´s  even the same version, on the same company license! Both windows XP and Avast are configured in the exact same way on both PC´s.

Regards

Peter. ;)

Parabellum

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2004, 11:31:16 PM »
btt

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2004, 09:09:27 AM »
We're still working on the logs thing.

About different scan results on different machines - what happens if you do a full on-demand scan? Does it detect the thing on both machines?

Did you install avast on both of these machines at the same time?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2004, 12:14:33 PM »
OK, the logging problem has been solved. It will be in the next update.