Author Topic: When an infected file is found in an archive  (Read 2498 times)

tbessie

When an infected file is found in an archive
« on: February 27, 2007, 06:26:22 AM »
And you say "move" or "rename" or "delete", it seems to delete it FROM the archive, when what I want is for the whole ARCHIVE to be deleted or removed, not for it to be modified in place.

Is there a setting for this?  I couldn't find anywhere in the help files where it addressed "what happens when you delete/move/remove a file found in an archive".  Have you documented this?

- Tim

Maeng

Re: When an infected file is found in an archive
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 06:53:28 AM »
when what I want is for the whole ARCHIVE to be deleted or removed, not for it to be modified in place.

Yes, Avast! can delete/move the whole ARCHIVE, what's wrong with it?  ???

Try fake virus called Eicar in archive (.zip) to see this action yourself (pause the Web Shield before downloading the Eicar in archive).

http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 07:22:09 AM by Maeng »

tbessie

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 07:29:11 AM »
Hmm... when I said "move", it moved the file out of the archive; at least, that's what it appeared to do.  I may have missed something.  I'll try your test, tho', and check.

- Tim

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 08:26:58 AM »
No, there's no such setting (to move the whole archive).
For some archives it works that way (moving the whole file), but for most archives avast! tries to move the file from inside of the archive - and if it fails, report some error. In any case, it's up to avast! "decision" (programming) - you can't affect that.