Author Topic: trying to use avast with vista?  (Read 2751 times)

dmcoates

trying to use avast with vista?
« on: February 28, 2007, 02:51:25 AM »
I have a brand new laptop. I have been using avast for a long time with my previous computer and it was wonderful. So I wanted to use it on my new one. I read the site saying it fully supports windows vista. So I go to install it and then I can no longer get my webpages to display. I am connected to the internet { I checked with CS} and everytime I try to open a browser page it tells me the page can not be displayed. what do I need to do to make this work? I kinda need step by step directions on what to change as far as settings go. Does anyone else seem to have this issues?

Thanks so much for your help
amanda

lady_gerbil

Re: trying to use avast with vista?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 03:23:13 AM »
Dear Amanda,

I just ran into the same problem.  Did your computer come loaded with other security software, like stuff by Norton or McAfee?  Once I uninstalled McAfee from my new computer, uninstalled Avast!, rebooted, reinstalled Avast!, rebooted, and I was able to access the internet.

Also, make sure that Avast! has permission through the firewall.  If you're using Windows Firewall with Vista (since you say you've got a new laptop), go to the Control Panel, and under Security, there's an option to "Allow a program through Windows Firewall."  If Avast! doesn't show in the program list, you can browse to it and add it.

Good luck!
Nicole

dmcoates

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 06:32:40 AM »
yes my new computer did come with mcafee. I thought of uninstalling it, but then I am worried that if I do that and still can't get avast with work with my new computer I will be out of luck with a virus program. MAN what an ordeal. I will try it tonight though.  Thanks so much for the advice.Amanda

dmcoates

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 07:47:19 AM »
just wanted you to know that you were right...after I uninstalled mcafee, and reinstalled avast! it worked perfectly!!!  thanks so much for the suggestion?
Amanda

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 04:01:33 PM »
Welcome to the forums Amanda.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security